Professor of Economics and Finance Department Chair
3027 L. William Seidman Center
Dr. Aaron Lowen, Professor of Economics, earned his B.A. in Economics at the University of Northern Iowa, and his M.A. and Ph.D. in Economics from the University of Iowa. His recent research projects include the use of time use surveys in forensic economics, the influence of elite athletic performance on labor market outcomes, and the effects of Title IX legislation on women's health outcomes. Aaron has previously served as Academic Director for the Full-Time Integrated MBA program. He was awarded a Pew Teaching Excellence Award in 2007, was a finalist for the GVSU Outstanding Teacher Award in 2012, and received the Outstanding Faculty Mentor Award from the GVSU Graduate Student Association and the GVSU Distinguished Graduate Mentoring Award in 2014. He currently serves as Interim Chair of the Seidman Finance Department.
- PH.D., Economics, University of Iowa. "Essays On Econometric Issues Applied To Learning and the Design Of Hierarchical Incentive Contracts." (2003).
- MA, Economics, University of Iowa. (1999).
- BA, Economics, University of Northern Iowa. (1997)
- Game Theory
- Experimental Economics
- Applied Econometrics
- Managerial Economics
- Lowen, A., Deaner, R., Schmitt, E. (2016). Guys and gals going for gold: The role of women’s empowerment in Olympic success. Journal of Sports Economics, 17(3), 260-285.
- Lowen, A., Sicilian P. (2015). An Alternative Valuation Method for Household Production using American Time Use Survey Data. Journal of Legal Economics, 22(1), 1-23.
- Lowen, A., Schmitt, P. (2013). Cooperation limitations under a one-time threat of expulsion and punishment. Journal of Socio-Economics, 44, 68-74.
- Lowen, A., Samuel, A. (2012). Bribery and Endogenous Monitoring Effort: An Experimental Study. The Eastern Economic Journal, 38(3), 356-380.
- Lowen, A., Samuel, A. (2010). Bribery and Inspection Technology. Economics of Governance, 11(4), 333-350.
- Lowen, A., Sicilian, P. (2009). Family-FriendlyFringe Benefits and the Gender Wage Gap. Journal of Labor Research, 30(2), 101-119.
- Lowen, A., Cole, M., Haley, M. R. (2008). A note on bilateral trade agreements in the presence of irreversible investment and deferred negotiations. Economics Bulletin, 6(34), 1-10.
- Isely, P., Lowen, A. (2007). Price and Substitution in Residential Solid Waste. Contemporary Economic Policy, 25(3), 433-443.
- Finance Department, Interim Chair. (May 2017-present).
- Economics Department, Chair. (January 2015-April 2017).
- Economics Department, Interim Chair. (August 2013-June 2014).
- Seidman College of Business, Strategic Planning Task Force. (August 2015-present).
- Seidman College of Business, MBA Revision Task Force, Co-chair. (August 2015-present).
- Full-Time Integrated MBA Program, Academic Director. (August 2013-December 2014).
- Graduate Council, member. (August 2009-December 2014). Served as Chair of the Policy Committee.
- MBA Committee, member. (August 2004-September 2013). Committee Chair (September 2010 -September 2013).
- Educational Testing Service (Advanced Placement Exams), grader. (7 times). Table leader position (2014 and 2016), Question Leader (2017), and Chief Reader Designate (July 2017-present).