Conferences & Travel
Student Organizations taking off-campus trips funded (all or in part) by the Student Life Fund or arranged with assistance from the Office of Student Life, must adhere to the Student Organization Travel policies and procedures. Arrangements for travel must be discussed in advance with the Student Life Assistant or the Associate Director of Student Life.
Only GVSU students and faculty/staff may travel on behalf of the organization. The Student Life Fund will only fund GVSU student travel expenses.
Participants will adhere to all GVSU conduct codes, conference conduct rules, as well as the rules/laws of the trip location(s). Any participant found to violate rules of conduct or the law will travel back to GVSU immediately at his/her own expense. Participants may be subject to university judicial proceedings if reported to the Dean of Students Office.
The following must be on file in the Office of Student Life before the trip begins:
- A detailed itinerary of trip plans and a full list of participants (noting any authorized drivers).
- Travel Release Statement forms completed and signed by every participant.
- Behavioral Contract forms completed and signed by every participant in conference or professional field trip travel.
Within five business days after the trip, the organization must:
- Submit all receipts to the Office of Student Life for payment/reimbursement of funded expenses with the appropriate Travel Expense Voucher.
- For travel funded by the Student Life Fund, submit an Off-Campus Travel Report form to the Student Senate.
Conference Registrations and Fees
- Each conference has differing policies for registrations and fees. Please consult with the Office of Student Life before completing any conference registration process.
- The Student Senate Appropriations Committee may not allocate funds to reimburse expenses already incurred. Make sure you have funding available for conference registrations BEFORE completing the registration form!
- If funds are available (either through the organization's Student Life Fund account, treasury, or through members' personal contributions), the Office of Student Life can assist organizations with registration by using the Office Purchasing (Visa) Card. Please consult with the OSL Front Desk Staff to pay registration fees. They may be contacted at 616-331-2345 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Air travel can be a convenient and sometimes less expensive mode of travel. Work with the Office of Student Life to check for the best prices.
- The Student Senate Appropriations Committee may not allocate funds to reimburse expenses already incurred. Make sure you have funding available for air travel BEFORE purchasing tickets!
- If funds are available (either through the organization's Student Life Fund account, treasury, or through members' personal contributions), the Office of Student Life can assist organizations with purchasing air fare by using the Office Purchasing (Visa) Card. Please consult with the OSL Front Desk Staff to pay for air fare if other means are not available. They may be contacted at 616-331-2345 or email@example.com.
Hotel Reservations/Vehicle Rental
- Hotel reservations and rental vehicles must be arranged through the Office of Student Life, utilizing the appropriate forms found at gvsu.edu/studentlife. Fill out the form completely and submit it to the Office of Student Life (OSL) at least two weeks in advance of trip or event, if not sooner.
- When staying at hotels, participants should anticipate presenting a personal credit card to place a deposit on the room.
- Sometimes on-campus performers or presenters need hotel accommodations near campus. Use the Hotel Reservation Request form for these needs as well.
Driver Authorization Process
- Any drivers (whether using personal or rental vehicles) on student organization trips must be cleared by the Department of Public Safety as an authorized driver. Students who will be driving must be approved by going to Public Safety and presenting their driver's license. Processing takes at least a month so it is advised that students anticipating going on a trip have this done at the beginning of the school year. When filling out the form reference the Office of Student Life and the organization you are with. Cards may be picked up in the Office of Student Life
- All drivers are individually responsible for any traffic violations, tickets, etc., and will be expected to pay applicable fines.