Saturday, February 15, 2020
Saturday, February 15, 2020
Come to the Grand Rapids Public Museum to enjoy:
"Farm Kid to Trauma Surgeon to Rocketman and Way Beyond: Excellence, Exploration, and Evolution" presented by guest speaker Astronaut Story Musgrave (11:00 a.m. - Free with museum admission. Find more information at grpm.org)
10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Learn from student-submitted projects designing solutions for the future of space exploration.
- Watch a planetarium show including an introductory history of Roger B. Chaffee and featured presentations highlighting space exploration
11:00 a.m. - One World, One Sky: Big Bird’s Adventure
12:00 p.m. - Escher’s Universe
1:00 p.m. - Space School
2:00 p.m. - Habitat Earth
3:00 p.m. - Under Frozen Skies
4:00 p.m. - Dark Side: The Light Show
- See museum artifacts related to space, space travel, and Roger B. Chaffee.
- Enjoy many other family-friendly activities related to space, including:
- Golden Record Activity - Introduction created by planetarium about Voyager two - one staff and one vol. Guests can learn more about the Voyager mission to attempt communications with possible life forms in space and determine what information would be important for you to share with an alien lifeform.
- Paper Airplane and Jet Propulsion Activity
- Underwater ROV with Mark Gleason - guests will use pvc pipes, foam noodles, and small submersible motors to create their own underwater ROV that they can test in a tank full of water. Learn about underwater discovery and the important role that Remote Operated Vehicles play in underwater exploration.
- KDL Mission Read program - An out-of-this-world reading program for k-3d graders with prizes! This on-going program will be showcased at the Public Day of Roger That! Additionally KDL will host a table with STEM related activities.
- KISD - Robotics Activities
- YETI - Something amazing and fun!! -YETI is developing a multi-user kids experience called Space Port Michigan focused on showing how technology + community will help us reach the stars
- Roger Chaffee and Space related artifacts from the Museum’s Collection
- Chicago’s Museum of Science and Industry - Citizen Science project looking at Space from Lake Michigan. Sharing a project they are working with Adler Planetarium to discover meteorite samples that fell in Lake Michigan. The Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago and the Aquarius Project, the first-ever teen-driven underwater meteorite hunt project, led by the Adler Planetarium, is going to run a hands-on and citizen science program by doing initial tests on potential meteorites and water samples. The activity’s tasks will include: logging real data on water quality and sediment; exploring the aquatic environment of Lake Michigan; and predicting how chemical properties of water impact preservation, using real samples collected by the Adler’s teens from the bottom of Lake Michigan.
- GVSU Padnos College of Engineering will host different activities including origami fish, Hydrophobic Sand (A.K.A Space Sand) which is applied nanotechnology and possibly planting seeds in water beads.
- Grand Rapids Amateur Astronomical Association will have telescopes for guests to look at the day time sky as well as planispheres to make and take.
- Lunar Lakers Team - GVSU Engineering Team (one table)
- GVSU Physics Department showcase - students from the physics department will do hands on activities (one table)
- Astronaut Story Musgrave will announce the winners of the Roger That! 2020 Design That! Design Challenge following his presentation.