Outdoor Recreation National Campus Challenge 2019
September 16 – October 13, 2019
GVSU is competing against 97 other schools across the country to see who is the most “outdoorsy” and active. Enjoy the outdoors, log your activities, win FREE stuff, and help GVSU win the title of National Outdoor Champion!
Must register between Sept 3-15 (before Sept 16)!
Open to ANYONE affiliated with GVSU.
What does this mean? This means.... you, your roommate, your favorite faculty or staff members, your parents and supporters, your friends at universities who aren't one of the 97 other schools in this challenge!
How to Register
- Download the AORE Campus Challenge app starting Sept. 3
- Create an account between Sept 3-15
- Choose Grand Valley State University as your school
- Log your outdoor activities between Sept. 16 – Oct. 13 to earn points
10 pt. Activities
- Races (adventure / 5 k / track)
- Cycling / Mountain Biking
- Climbing (outdoors)
- Fishing / Hunting
- Hiking / Backpacking
- Paddle Sports (kayak, SUP, canoe)
- Outdoor Service Projects
- Disc Golf
- Water activities
- Team sports not included.
5 pt. Activities
- Outdoor clinics / training
- Skateboarding / longboarding
- Yoga (outdoors)
- Outdoor Work
2 pt. Activities
- Arts / craft / building
- Photo fails
Qualifiers for Bonus points
- Group activities (+5)
- Overnight activities (+5)
- School organized activities (+5)
- 1st, 10th, 25th, 50thactivities Logged
Greater Good Bonus points*
- Positive Environmental Impacts (+5)
- Health / Wellness (+2)
- Exploring the Outdoors Anywhere (+5)
- Developing Skills / personal growth (+5)
Activity Opportunities with OA
- Big Splash Week Confluence at the Grand Ravines Lodge (hiking/ kayaking/ biking) - Tuesday, September 17th
- Ravines Hike - Wednesday, September 18th
- Big Splash Week Distractions at the Divide (Water olympics) - Friday, September 20th
- Big Splash Week Beach Cleanup & Adventures @ Grand Haven - Saturday, September 21st
- Climb Grand Ledge - Sunday, September 22nd
- Hammock Hangout w/ Merrell - Wednesday, September 25th
- Ravines Hike - Wednesday, October 2nd
- Walk with the President - Friday, October 4th
- Hammock Hangout - Wednesday, October 9th
- Climb Grand Ledge - Sunday, October 13th
That's not all! Check out our Events Page for other opportunities for eligible activities
How to Earn Points
Eligible for point consideration.
- Activities logged must take place between September 16 -October 13, 2019
- Activities must have lasted longer than 30 minutes
- The submitted outdoor activities should be of you engaging in the outdoors with the outdoor element being the focus
- The photo uploaded must show you/your group participating in the activity including at least 50% of your body
Not Valid Entries
Not eligible for point consideration.
- Traditional team sports such as soccer, football, baseball, and basketball do not count as eligible activities.
- Landscape pictures (I.e. no one IN the picture)
Will be flagged and removed.
- Pornographic, obscene, profane, defamatory, libelous, threatening, unlawful or other material which could constitute or encourage conduct that would be considered a criminal offense, give rise to civil liability, or otherwise violate any law or regulation.
- Any entry that includes obscenities, objectionable material, or defames or invade the publicity or privacy rights of any person living or deceased, will be disqualified.
Oh, and guess what? Group events earn more points, so get more people involved, and you'll be closer to earning those prizes!
Each week, one of the AORE Campus Challenge sponsors will hook you up with chances to earn points, prizes, and gear. Learn more about the weekly challenges.
Positive Environmental Impacts
Activating your activism.
Trail maintenance, trash pick-up, research, planting trees, or following Leave No Trace.
Health & Wellness
The outdoors-a-day keeps the doctor away.
Trail running, mountain biking, outdoor yoga, hammocking, stress reduction, forest bathing, or gathering fruits & veggies.
Personal Growth & Skill Development
If old dogs can learn new tricks, you can learn a new skill.
Training for competition, learning or practicing a new skill, or challenging yourself beyond your current comforts.
Explore Outdoors Anywhere
No matter where you go, the outdoors is where you are.
Hiking, biking, canoeing, rock climbing, backpacking, and paddle boarding.
How to Help Us Promote
Help participants understand how to get involved by sharing gvsu.edu/rec/outdoorchamps as much as you can!