LAKERS TOGETHER: Find out how we're moving forward. Learn about campus safety measures including testing, face coverings and vaccines.
Club Sports Focuses on Student Development
March 25, 2021
Just like NCAA athletes across the country, our club sports athletes lost their competitive seasons to the pandemic, with some programs losing two seasons. To help facilitate a meaningful experience for our athletes, community building and engagement have been the primary goals of our Club Sports program during the 2020-21 academic year. We have facilitated 10 virtual workshops for 241 club sports athletes, leaders and coaches to increase their knowledge of campus resources since September. We have six more opportunities on the schedule for club participants as we complete the winter 2021 semester.
In the Fall 2020 semester, 4 workshops with 103 participants were hosted by Alcohol & Other Drug Services, Club Sports graduate students, Gayle R. Davis Center for Gender & Equity, and Student Academic Success Center. These workshops focused on developing a sense of self-awareness and working towards future growth.
For the Winter 2021 semester, we focused on building a toolkit for students to use in future endeavors. To date through this semester, 6 workshops with 138 participants have been hosted by various campus partners:
- Campus Dining
- Career Center
- Club Sports Athletic Training
- Office of Student Conduct & Conflict Resolution
- Student Academic Success Center
- University Counseling Center
- Sports Management faculty
- “I was previously unaware of services offered through Student Academic Success Center.”
- “I learned others are probably feeling the same way I do during this hard time, I am not alone.”
- “I learned that GV will provide personal diet plans for me as both an individual and an athlete in my specific sport. All I have to do is send an e-mail.”
- "I learned that taking the time to meditate can clear your head and set the tone for the day. It is also important to reflect on tough situations to know what stage of grief I am in."
- "I really enjoyed this presentation and found that all of the information was very valuable. Thank you."