SEYMOUR & ESTHER PADNOS COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING & COMPUTING
Grand Valley State University has named the College of Engineering & Computing in honor of Seymour and Esther Padnos to recognize their commitment to creating an environment where students and faculty can reach their full potential in the field of Engineering and Computing. It is the aim of the University to inspire future engineering/computing students to live up to the personal and professional ideals of the Padnos family.
The Padnos College was established on July 1, 2004 as part of the academic reorganization at GVSU. The College includes the School of Engineering, the School of Computing & Information Systems, the Occupational Safety and Health Management Department, and the Professional Science Masters Program. Prior to the reorganization, the Padnos School of Engineering and the Department of Computer Science & Information Systems were both elements of the Science & Mathematics Division at Grand Valley State University.
Our Mission, Vision and Values
The mission of the Seymour and Esther Padnos College of Engineering and Computing is to prepare undergraduate and graduate students in engineering, computing and occupational safety and health to become accomplished professionals; to contribute to our professions through active scholarship in all of its forms; and to support the university and society with expertise, leadership, and service.
- Prepare students to compete in today's global economy by emphasizing experiential learning in a contemporary technical environment
- Prepare students for the future by emphasizing sound principles
- Emphasize a strong technical background enhanced by effective communication skills
- Provide working professionals with the opportunity for continuous professional development
- Imbue students with a strong sense of "the public good" and their own professional responsibility to the public good
- Strive to be an example and an inspiration to develop competence, courage, and compassion with unquestioned integrity
Our values reflect our educational mission. We are an academic community in a nation, which the intrinsic value of each individual is taken as fundamental. Thus we strive to provide an environment in which each member of our academic community- student, staff member, and faculty- can reach their fullest potential.