Prerequisite Courses

What to Consider Regarding Prerequisites

While deciding on which graduate or professional schools to pursue, you should first review the prerequisite courses that you are required to take before applying to each program. If your undergraduate major is relevant to the program that you are applying for, a lot of the classes you will take to graduate will work for prerequisites for your program but some schools will want you to take classes that are outside the realm of your major. For example, if you are a Psychology major applying to Physician Assistant schools, you may have to take an extra course or two in genetics or physics to apply. If your undergraduate program allows, it may be helpful to not have a minor and to use that extra time and resources for taking the prerequisites if you have a lot that do not overlap.

When starting out, look at the prerequisites that the majority of the programs that you wish to apply require. Then, when it gets closer to applying, go to the sites of your top choice graduate or professional programs and make sure you have completed all their prerequisites. Do not wait until senior year to do this! Also, be aware that some schools are specific in wanting a certain grade or higher in these classes so they know you are ready for the program. When entering a graduate or professional program, schools assume that you are already competent in the prerequisite courses. Sometimes programs will have quick review days or sessions to go over the material from the prerequisite classes to make sure you remember the content but do not assume this. You may want to review the material on your own as well before you start so that you are prepared.

If you are applying to programs at different universities other than where you did your undergrad, it is also a good idea to make sure they are equivalent and are eligible to transfer to the schools that you are applying. You can usually find a transfer guide at each university's website. If a class says it is not equivalent to the prerequisite class that you need, you can always contact admissions or the department that you are applying to and see if they will allow it. They usually will have you send a syllabus and other general information about the class you took and they will tell you if they accept it or not. This process is usually done through email. You may also want to double check on AP and IB courses that you have credit for. AP & IB exam policies vary by professional school and even by school within the stated profession.

The Michigan Transfer Network allows to you to check to see if your coursework transfers throughout schools in Michigan:

The website below will help you find out the lowest grade for a class that will transfer, the contact information to get a hold of the admissions department, and the general demographics:

*Note that a certain program may require a higher grade in coursework than what the university requires.