LAKERS TOGETHER: Find out how we're moving forward.
Making the Right Decision
Making the decision on whether to pursue graduate or professional education requires time, reflection, and intentionality. Asking questions is the best way to determine if graduate or professional education is part of your future. This website has been created to help you determine your path, help answer any questions you may have, and provide you with a variety of resources you will need as you begin this journey. You are encouraged to connect with advisors and faculty who may be able to help you with this decision.
Applying for graduate and professional school takes time and intentionality. Some things to think about:
- Are you ready to go?
- What are the advantages of an advanced degree?
- Have you researched graduate and professional programs?
- How and when should you make your decision?
- Do you know what is involved in the application process?
- Does every program require an entrance exam?
- Can you afford it?
- How will you manage your stress and keep balance in your life?
- Who will you ask for recommendations or letters of reference?
- When is the best time to attend graduate or professional school?
Be sure to talk to a career counselor, faculty, family, and friends when thinking about your path. There are great benefits to attend, but there are also great sacrifices you will make if you do. Consider the following articles:
Career exploration is also a part of making the decision whether to pursue graduate or professional education. Finding a career that is right for you takes time and research. These resources can help you in this decision making process.
- O*Net - Detailed descriptions of career pathways and job outlooks for job seekers
- Career Onestop - Provides you with information regarding job demand, salaries, résumés, and more
- Bureau of Labor Statistics - Occupational Outlook Handbook: Employment outlook, salaries, settings for work, training needed, etc.
- The Career Center can assist you by helping you research graduate or professional schools, guide you in deciding on a major, and provide you with resources to explore your career options. They can also help you with job and internship search services.
- Career Center's Contact Bank allows you to connect to GVSU Alumni