Employment with Outdoor Adventures
Campus Recreation is a part of the Division of Student Services with offices. We employ over 160 student staff each semester, and are continually looking for diverse, enthusiastic, dedicated and hardworking students who enjoy interacting in a positive environment.
Student employees play an invaluable role by providing customer service, safety, and fun to our guests. Campus Recreation promotes student development, critical thinking, communication, teamwork, time management, professionalism, and leadership skills. Employment with Campus Recreation will provide you with valuable work skills, life-long learning opportunities, and lasting friendships.
Climbing Center Staff
Climbing Center staff fill a variety of roles related to the operation of the climbing wall. We are currently seeking outgoing students to fill part-time openings as group/ substitute staff. This position is not expected to hold a regular Open Hours shift through the summer but opportunities for regular shifts may arise in the future. Applicants must be enrolled in at least 6 credit hours (12 if awarded work study) in order to be eligible for hire. Student seeking employment during the Spring/ Summer semesters must be enrolled in the Fall semester if not taking classes during the Spring/ Summer. Fall employment is not expected nor guaranteed.
Staff responsibilities include but are not limited to: Group Event Staffing (belaying & general supervision), Daily Operations, Technical Instruction, General Maintenance, & Route Setting.
Rock climbing experience is strongly preferred but not mandatory. Ideal applicants will personify the OA Philosophy be outgoing, self-motivated, dependable, safety minded, passionate about the outdoors, & eager to share the joy of climbing with others.
Application period has expired. Please check back in July for Fall '18 opportunities.
Now Hiring! - Spr./ Sum.
Bike Shop Mechanic
The Bike Mechanic position is a fun and challenging part-time position that allows you to share your love of bikes with the greater GVSU community. This position is more than just keeping bikes safe & well maintained. It also includes assisting with developing the bike culture and community by introducing new & diverse groups to our various programs & services.
- Maintain accurate records of services, rentals, and scheduled repairs
- Coordinate and complete accurate repairs and services in a timely manner as well assist in self-serve repairs
- Provide effective and timely communication with Assistant Director of Campus Rec. regarding but not limited to bike maintenance, part needs, client information/needs, etc.
- Mentor OA staff as needed
- Upkeep of the rental fleet
- Develop and maintain a working knowledge and expertise in bike repair and bike maintenance
- Assist in coordination of workshops and events
- Attend all staff meetings and trainings
- General building responsibilities including opening and closing the building as well as maintaining a clean and organized shop area
- Other duties as assigned
- Successful applicants will exemplify the OA's philosophy
- Previous experience in bike maintenance and repair is a must. Commercial bike shop experience desired
- Ability to work independently and as a part of a team
- Ability to follow written and verbal instruction
- Great time management skills
- Applicants should be hard working, friendly, environmentally conscious, open-minded, creative, and responsible
- Must meet minimum enrollment requirements for student employment
Through Spring/ Summer, this position will require on average 15-20 hours per week. Schedules offer some flexibility. Most hours will be dedicated to regular shifts at the Bike Shop. Remaining weekly hours will be dedicated to drop-off maintenance, general programming, and outreach.
The application is currently not available.
Not Hiring At This Time
Bike Shop Staff
Any GVSU Students with a passion for bikes and an interest in supporting the growing biking community at Grand Valley should consider the Bike Shop Staff position. This part-time position includes running day-to-day Bike Shop operations and training in basic bike maintenance.
Primary responsibilities include day-to-day operations of the Bike Shop which include: Assisting shop visitors with self-service maintenance, coordinating rentals/returns, data entry, rental logistics, leading &/or assisting with bike related programs and events, general rental fleet maintenance and other duties as assigned.
Basic bicycle maintenance knowledge is preferred but not required. Ideal applicants will personify the OA Philosophy be outgoing, self-motivated, dependable, and eager to be involved with Grand Valley biking community. An ability to stay organized in the office setting, manage paperwork, demonstrate great customer service and communication are all qualities the Bike Shop staff must exemplify.
Apply Now for Spring/ Summer!
Application Deadline: April 3rd @ 11:59pm.
Now Hiring! - Winter & Summer