GVSU Library Scholars Summer Program
The GVSU Library Scholars Summer Program provides students with the opportunity to have an intensive research experience using the library’s resources and collections. Mentored by a librarian faculty mentor, the scholar will develop a project that will enhance their library knowledge and skills while contributing to the library and engaging in a disciplinary, scholarly conversation.
The amazing work of past scholars can be found in the Student Summer Scholars collections in ScholarWorks@GVSU.
About the Award
As part of the program, scholars will:
- learn about and explore the library’s resources, services, and staff;
- engage deeply with library collections and/or resources to support a scholarly or creative exploration, using information literacy skills that are honed during the project, and;
- create a finding aid, exhibit, learning object or other product that supports other students’ use of the library and contributes to the library’s mission.
Over the 12-week period, scholars participate in multiple modes of learning that will help them explore and understand the purpose and work of libraries, information literacy, and the ways learning communities use libraries. The Library Scholars Program prepares scholars for a more nuanced understanding of scholarly communication and for more effective use of the library. These learning experiences include:
- Introduction to the Library Collections, Services, and Spaces: The Library Research Scholars will be introduced to the library’s many services, meeting library faculty and staff who will help students understand the many facets of the GVSU Libraries’ work. Students will work with library faculty and staff from library departments including Research and Instruction, Archives & Special Collections, Technical and Information Services, User Experience, and Administration.
- Participation in a Cohort Community: The Library Research Scholars will participate in both library-only events, as well as events that connect them with other scholars engaged in undergraduate research across campus.
- Mentorship and Research Experience: Each Library Research Scholar will be paired with a librarian who will mentor the student in their research/use of the library collections and their development and creation of a deliverable (see below).
- Scholarly or creative product: This product, which could take one of many formats, engages deeply with a facet of the library collections and serve as a learning tool, finding aid, or creative product or display that will engage, teach, or assist other library users. If possible, this scholarly or creative product will be included in ScholarWorks, the GVSU Library’s Institutional Repository, and will be freely available. Students may develop plans for their own product idea with the input and guidance of their librarian mentor, or they may choose to work on a librarian mentor’s scholarly or creative product idea.
- Self-Reflection: Scholars will reflect on their experiences as a library user, library researcher, and participant/observer of a scholarly conversation. This reflection will take the form of a research journal, a blog, or another format as chosen by the scholar with the approval of their mentor.
- Summer Showcase: Students will present at the Office of Undergraduate Research and Scholarship summer showcase, along with REACH Scholars and Student Summer Scholars.
The award provides library scholars with a $2,000 stipend for the Spring/ Summer Semester beginning, May 6, 2024 and ending August 6, 2024. This stipend is awarded for completing 20 hours of commitment per week.
The program is available to undergraduate students at GVSU who have not yet completed the requirements for graduation. It is expected that the student will be enrolled at GVSU as a full-time undergraduate for at least one full semester of study beyond the period of the award (i.e. the following Fall semester).
LIBRARY SCHOLARS FACULTY MENTORS
The following Library faculty members are examples of possible GVSU Library Scholars Program Faculty Mentors:
The application process for the GVSU Library Scholars Summer Program has two components.
First, interested students need to submit their application online. The application must consist of the following materials:
- Letter of interest
- Letter of recommendation
Second, after a review of applications, qualified candidates will be invited to participate in an interview with the selection team.
For more information about the application process, and/or to determine program eligibility, please contact the Program Director via email, Amber Dierking.
How to Apply
The application needs to be one complete PDF document that you will submit online. There is only one upload button, so please be sure your document is complete.