Remote Undergraduate Research Assistant Grant
The Office of Undergraduate Research and Scholarship (OURS) is opening an application cycle for the Remote Undergraduate Research Assistant (Remote URA) grant. The purpose of this grant is to support tenure-track and tenured faculty members with undergraduate research support for current and future research projects. Additionally, a remote research assistant position will provide undergraduate students with an opportunity to actively engage with undergraduate research while earning a livable wage.
About the Award
The award provides remote undergraduate research assistants with a paid wage for 10-12 hours per week. The wage is determined by OURS in consultation with the faculty supervisor. URA positions generally fall within Classification 5, Steps A-D, according to the Student Employment guidelines.
The grant is available to all tenure and tenure-track faculty. Preference is given to faculty who have been at GVSU for at least one year and have an interest in building their research in a way that engages undergraduate students.
All undergraduate students are eligible for these positions. URA selection is done by the faculty member with approval from OURS. Please note that the grant cannot be awarded to support an independent study (499), or an Honors Thesis.
How to Apply
Proposals are reviewed on a rolling basis beginning November 20, 2020. The proposal needs to be one complete PDF document that you will submit online. There is only one upload button, so please be sure your document is complete.
The proposal must include the following sections:
- Project Description: (Limited to 2 pages, 12-point font, double spaced, 1 inch margins). This should include the following:
- Description of the project – Describe the project the student will be supporting.
- Significance of the work – Explain the significance of student support in this project. What are the goals for the student’s work? What is the ideal outcome of the student’s work?
- Timeline – Include a timeline of the project detailing the responsibilities of the student during the project. What are the significant research tasks for the student?
- Quality of the Student Learning Experience: (Limited to 2 pages, 12-point font, double spaced, 1 inch margins)
- Student focus – What are the faculty member’s student-centered goals for this project? What online pedagogical techniques will the faculty member use to help the student achieve those goals? What specific techniques will be used to virtually supervise and monitor the student’s work?
- Independence – Describe the steps to be taken to allow the student to become a more independent researcher/scholar during the project.
- Position Description - Provide a description of tasks and responsibilities for which the student research assistant will be responsible.
- Email of Endorsement from Department Chair:
- Acknowledgement and support of the grant application from the Department Chair is required. This can be sent in email from to firstname.lastname@example.org, or be attached to the pdf application.
Proposals will be reviewed by a faulty committee.
The Remote URA program provides faculty with funding for a research assistant during the academic semester. We ask units to hold the position in their office and we will transfer the award directly to your student wages budget toward the end of the semester worked.
Faculty must submit a finalized job description to OURS. Once approved, a position number will need to be created for the position by your department before it can be can be posted on Handshake. This will need to be done by your department coordinator. The faculty will interview and hire the students, as well as approve the Ultratime. OnBase transfer requests should go to Undergraduate Research and Scholarship. A copy of the labor distribution report showing the student’s wage expenses must be attached. The award will cover the Winter 2021 semester of wages in Classification 5, Steps A-D.
The Remote URA and faculty supervisor will be expected to participate in program assessment as requested. Additionally, the faculty supervisor will be asked to complete a brief report describing the completed tasks, and how the Remote URA contributed to the research project.