Why does campus climate matter
- How students experience their campus environment influences both learning and developmental outcomes (1).
- Discriminatory environments have a negative effect on student learning (2).
- A diverse faculty and student body enhances learning outcomes (3)(4).
- Quite simply, students thrive in healthy environments, free of the negativity of discrimination, where inclusion and respect for diversity is the daily norm.
for faculty and staff?
- Faculty members, administrators and staff members are significantly impacted by campus climate (5).
- The personal and professional development of employees is greatly enhanced through a healthy working environment.
- Faculty members, for example, who consider their campus climate healthy and inclusive are more likely to feel personally and professionally supported and perceive their work unit as more supportive.
- There is also a direct relationship between workplace discrimination and negative job and career attitudes (6)(7)(8). Faculty and staff who have encountered prejudice directly attribute its negative effects to decreased health and well being.
- Creating a healthy campus climate is as important for faculty and staff as it is for students.
for the university?
(Why conduct a climate assessment? What are the outcomes?)
- To support GVSU’s goal to be diverse and inclusive and values for inclusiveness and community
- To better understand the experiences and perceptions of all members of the community related to equity and inclusion
- To improve the environment for working and learning on campus for all members of the community, including underrepresented members of the community
- To continue to engage the campus community in dialogue related to diversity and inclusion, and foster greater visibility, information-sharing, and the building on a common knowledge-base
- To provide GVSU with longitudinal data to guide new and enhanced strategic initiatives related to campus climate
- To respond to a culture of assessment and data-driven decision-making in higher education
“At GVSU, we are committed to creating a welcoming and inclusive environment where every single member of the community can be their authentic selves, proudly and safely." -Vice President Jesse Bernal