Mathematics Advising Resources
- Math Placement Information (New Students)
Provides guidance about the first math class you should take including
testing out options.
- Mathematics Curriculum Guides
These guides display the order/semesters you should take courses to complete your degree in 4 years, depending on your emphasis and catalog year.
COURSE OFFERING PLAN
- Course Offering Plan
This plan highlights which semester(s) and times we intend to offer math courses. All courses, and especially spring/summer courses, are subject to cancellation for a variety of factors such as low enrollment or lack of demand. Please consult with your advisor regularly to ensure that your plan of study is consistent with the department’s planned offerings.
ELEMENTARY MATH MAJOR TRANSITION
We are no longer admitting students in the Elementary Math Major. Current students using a catalog year of 20-21 or earlier may continue their program and must complete their entire program of study by July 2026. See the Elementary Math Major Transition page for details and consult this April 2021 advising update email for next steps.
Mathematics Faculty Advising Resources
Major/Minor Faculty Advising Checklists:
These checklists help you keep track of fulfilled requirements
and courses taken
- Major Applied Emphasis - catalog year 2020-21
- Major: Theoretical Emphasis - catalog year 2020-21
- Major: Elementary Emphasis - catalog year 2020-21 &
Advising Update for Elementary Emphasis Students - Email of 4/12/21
- Major: Secondary Emphasis - catalog year 2020-21
- Minor: Non-certification - catalog year 2019-20 and later
- Minor: Non-certification - catalog year 2018-19 and earlier
- Minor: Certification - catalog year 2020-21
- Minor: Certification & Non-certification - catalog year 2018-19
Math Career Info
- Career information from the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics at https://www.siam.org/careers/resources
- Career information from the Mathematical Association of America at https://mathcareers.maa.org/
- GVSU Career Center for help in career exploration, job search, resume preparation, interview tips, and mathematics career tips:
- Click on this link for additional career information for Mathematics majors.