Using Special Collections & University Archives
Visiting the Archives
The Special Collections & University Archives of the Grand Valley State University (GVSU) Libraries are located on the Allendale campus in Seidman House, just east of Lake Superior Hall. Our collections are housed in secure stack areas where environmental conditions are carefully monitored to ensure a stable temperature and humidity within ranges appropriate for the preservation of special materials. Materials do not circulate outside the library. Procedures for use are designed to assure proper handling of materials consistent with the library's commitment to preserving its collections for future generations.
Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
While these hours are generally stable, researchers and visitors not affiliated with Grand Valley State University are advised to telephone or e-mail to make appointments.
Maps and directions
Seidman House (#62 on the campus map) is east of Lake Superior Hall, across the plaza. Parking is available to visitors in Lot M, just south of Seidman House.
All visitors are required to have a temporary permit to park in any non-metered parking area. Permits are available at no cost from Parking Services.
Regulations for Use of Materials
- Smoking is prohibited in the building as well as in the Reading Room. Food, beverages, or other foodstuffs and consumables are likewise prohibited.
- Notes shall be taken in pencil. No ballpoint, fountain, or felt-tipped pens may be used.
- Materials shall be used with care. The researcher will not mark or write upon any items, nor place paper on which he/she is writing on any of the materials being consulted. At the staff’s discretion, the researcher may be requested to wear cotton gloves before using any materials.
- Books must be kept flat on the table during use and their pages carefully turned.
- The exact order and arrangement of the materials must be preserved. If any mistake in arrangement or any damage is discovered, please advise staff.
- Materials in the Special Collections & University Archives may not be removed from the Reading Room.
- The photocopying or digital scanning of a reasonable amount of materials is allowed, subject to restrictions regarding copyright, fragility of the items, or those imposed by the donor. Costs of photocopying are borne by the researcher. Photocopies thus supplied may not be duplicated or deposited elsewhere without prior written authorization of the staff. Request for photocopies are made to the staff.
- Requests for electronic or computerized scanning of materials may be granted at the discretion of the staff.
- The researcher is cautioned that the Special Collections & University Archives is not normally the owner of literary rights to books, papers, and manuscripts deposited therein. The researcher is responsible for securing permission to quote and publish from the original writer/creator, or his/her heirs. As a condition for use, the researcher assumes full responsibility for any infringement of literary, copyright, or publications rights belonging to the author, her/his heirs, or assigns.
- By signing the Application for Use of Material form provided as a sign-in sheet and materials order form, the user acknowledges his/her acceptance of the above regulations.