The 19-Month Leadership Cohort
Earn a Bachelors of Science or Arts in Liberal Studies with an emphasis in Leadership. If you already have an associates degree or 55+ credits, this degree allows you to develop the skills employers are looking for in a convenient, accelerated format designed for adults!
- Taking one 5-week class at a time allows you to focus your energy and delve deep into the content and skills associated with leaders.
- A hybrid class format allows you the convenience of coming to campus only one day a week — the same day each week throughout the 19-month program.
- The leadership cohort allows you to strengthen professional and support networks.
- Coursework includes Leadership for Social Change, Leadership Dynamics, Team Building, Concepts of Management, Social Change and Ethics,Organizational Theory, and more.
- Cohorts starting close to where you live and work with all classes in downtown Grand Rapids!
What types of students are pursuing a Liberal Studies Degree?
- Are close to graduation, but no longer find themselves suited to their current major
- Would like to transfer from a community college and obtain a bachelor's degree
- Need to combine credits earned from multiple colleges or universities
- Need to complete their bachelor’s degree to take the next step in their career
- Wish to continue their education and complete a master’s degree or Ph.D. in the future
A typical student profile is:
- 24+ years of age
- Have 2+ years work experience
- Have earned an average of 75 credits (minimum of 55)
- Are prepared for hybrid/partially online learning
- Possess a high level of motivation
What can you do with a Liberal Studies Leadership Degree?
A liberal studies degree doesn't prepare you for one specific career. The skills you learn can be beneficial in multiple professions. Solid writing and communication skills are crucial to any position and the critical-thinking skills you learn can be applied to any field that requires analytical thought. Career areas include:
- Education administration
- Sales and marketing
- Nonprofit organizations
- Urban planner
- City manager
In a recent survey of graduates:
- 100% of respondents report that the program contributed to personal development and professional goals
- 86% reported a pay increase while in the program or after graduation
- 73% reported they received a promotion while in the program or after graduation
Students talk about career skills gained
Why students Choose the Program
Tips and Tricks for Students
Support and Relationships in the Program
We'll help you every step of the way!
Your first step will be to meet with an academic advisor. We understand that you may be exploring your options and our advisors are dedicated to helping you reach your educational goals, whether it's through this program or something else. In a phone or in person meeting with an advisor they will:
- Explain the goals and outcomes of the Leadership Cohort
- Review transcripts (please bring an unofficial copy to your first appointment)
- Discuss services and supports available throughout the program
- Assist with the admissions and financial aid process
- Give you Personalized Education Plan letting you know what you would have left to complete
You'll continue to work with your advisors throughout the program to schedule courses, plan internships, explore career options, and plan for graduation. Schedule a meeting with one of our fantastic advisors.