Virus Action Team
GVSU has appointed the Virus Action Team (VAT) to:
- Oversee the administration of COVID-19-related interventions and health support initiatives.
- Monitor the real-time spread of COVID-19 on and off-campus.
- Track local and regional health metrics to detect changes in transmission of COVID-19 and recommend changes in University-wide alert levels or localized interventions
- Maintain open two-way communication between on-campus and off-campus groups regarding COVID-19 issues
Public Health Image Library / CDC
This page is maintained by GVSU's Virus Action Team (VAT). Navigate to the other VAT-administered pages using the buttons above. For questions, concerns, or to report a non-emergency health/safety issue, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. For personal health questions, call the 24/7 GVSU COVID Health Line (833) 734-0020.
COVID-19 Prevention, Interventions, and Health Support
The Virus Action Team oversees the administration of a variety of COVID-19 related interventions and health support initiatives, with GVSU and community partners.
- Self-Assessment Tool: Daily wellness checks by each campus community member provide vital information on the campus situation. [Partner: Spectrum Health]
- 24/7 GVSU COVID Health Line (833) 734-0020: Dedicated line for GVSU community members with questions or seeking health care support. [Partner: Spectrum Health]
- Testing of symptomatic and exposed individuals: GVSU community members with symptoms or a known exposure can schedule a test through the 24/7 Health Information Line or at one of our GVSU-affiliated clinics. [Partners: Spectrum Health; GVSU Campus Health Center (Allendale); GVSU Family Health Center (Grand Rapids)]
- Quarantine and Isolation: Over 160 beds have been reserved for the quarantine or isolation of on-campus students if their shared living space does not allow for safe quarantine and isolation. [Partners: Housing and Residence Life, Dean of Students, Campus Dining]
- Contact Tracing of confirmed cases: In collaboration with regional health departments, contacts of newly-infected individuals will be identified and asked to quarantine. Notifications will be made to supervisors and instructors on campus and considerations. [Partners: Ottawa and Kent County Health Departments, Dean of Students, Registrar]
- Universal Mask/Face-Covering Policy [Partners: EVERYONE]
Monitoring COVID-19 transmission on campus
The Virus Action Team is overseeing administration of COVID-19 testing on campus:
- Regular testing of individuals/groups that are at "high-risk" of exposure
- Random Surveillance Testing to assess the true prevalence rate
- Targeted and expanded testing of campus members or groups in response to hot-spots and/or changing conditions
All COVID-19 testing will be conducted with high-sensitivity PCR-based tests, administered by Spectrum Health or another health care partner, with results guaranteed in 24-48 hours.
CDC/ James Gathany
Monitoring and Operational Alert Levels
The Virus Action Team will monitor key local and regional health metrics to quickly detect changes in transmission of COVID-19, regionally or on our campuses. Daily consideration of these indicators will lead to adjustments in the University's Alert Level and/or targeted interventions.
The Virus Action Team will maintain regular communication with the community, including:
- Hosting a public dashboard that tracks COVID-19 cases in the GVSU community and other indicators
- Providing timely updates to the GVSU community via email
- Making direct contact with campus groups for tailored information
- Weekly contact with Kent and Ottawa County Health Departments
- Ongoing contact with Spectrum Health and other health care and testing facilities
For any questions, concerns, or reports about safety/health on the GVSU community, submit an email to email@example.com.
About the Virus Action Team
Mission: Recognizing that in-person academic and campus life during the COVID-19 pandemic will likely increase viral transmission, and therefore increase the health risks for GVSU students, faculty, and staff, and members of the Grand Rapids community more generally, the Virus Action Team seeks to minimize the incidence of disease in the community by:
- overseeing the administration of preventative interventions at GVSU;
- monitoring the real-time spread of the epidemic on and off-campus;
- rapidly reacting and adapting to changing conditions and policies, by preparing for diverse events/scenarios;
- maintaining open and active lines of communication with all campus and community groups – including students, faculty, staff, public health officials, and health providers – to promote adherence to intervention measures, evaluate strategy, and receive feedback; and
- continuously developing new strategies to be presented to the President and Senior Leadership Team for discussion and approval.
Membership: The Virus Action Team is composed of members of the administration, faculty, and staff, as well as adjunct membership of an infectious disease doctor.
Campus Readiness Team
Grand Valley is looking forward to increased in-person academic courses as well as student engagement opportunities this Fall. Planning is underway and will be directed by public health conditions.
The Campus Readiness Team (CRT) has been formed and is now meeting weekly to develop plans, set timelines and guidelines, and consider space requests in the transition period from the end of Winter Semester through the start of the Fall Semester.
The Virus Action Team will continue to provide university guidance regarding health and safety protocols to include the events matrix and other COVID-related university policies. Grand Valley will continue to follow CDC, state, health department and MIOSHA guidance.
The CRT can be reached via email at CampusReadinessTeam@gvsu.edu.
Campus Readiness Team Members
Mary Albrecht, Office of the Provost
Dottie Barnes, University Communications
Kristi Cooper, Kirkhof College of Nursing
Kate Harmon, Recreation and Wellness
Rence Meredith, Facilities Services
David VanderSloot, Conference and Event Planning
Brad Wallace, Athletic & Recreation Facilities Management
Pam Wells, Registrar
Doug Wentworth, Auxiliary Services Office