The Ottawa County Department of Public Health (OCDPH), in cooperation with Ottawa County and Grand Valley State University, has issued a "Staying in Place" order for GVSU students living and studying in Allendale Township to help mitigate the spread of COVID-19.
The two-week order started September 17 and lasts through October 1.
The order directs students in Allendale Township to remain in their on-campus or off-campus housing except to attend class, utilize food services, obtain groceries or medicine and medical care, for worship and religious practices, intercollegiate medically supervised athletic practices, or for employment.
Staying in Place required actions:
- All GVSU students attending classes at the Allendale Campus will be required to wear a mask at all times, indoors and outdoors, if in public both on and off-campus.
- In-person gatherings with non-household members are strictly prohibited for the duration of this order. Under no circumstances are visitors permitted in on- or off-campus housing for the duration of the order.
- Students will be allowed to leave their room/residence for purposes of physical activity in groups of no more than two with strict adherence to preventive measures.
- Students can attend in-person classes, including labs and physical education classes with strict adherence to preventive measures.
- Students can leave their room or residence to pick up food and other basic needs, go to medical appointments, pick up medication, attend religious practice activities or obtain COVID-19 testing with strict adherence to preventive measures.
- Students can attend work with the approval of the employer if the work is essential and cannot be done remotely with strict adherence to preventive measures.
- Students can have clinical rotations, student teaching or other off-campus experiential learning assignments to continue only with approval from the college dean and disclosure to the organization of placement and renewed approval by that organization with strict adherence to preventive measures.
- The Order is limited to Allendale Township both in terms of GVSU students who reside within it or those GVSU students who are non-residents and travel to be on the Allendale campus for the duration they are in the township. Once a non-resident GVSU student exits Allendale Township, the Order does not apply.