Cleaning and Sanitation
Enhanced Cleaning Procedures on GVSU Campuses
GVSU Facilities Services is continuing its enhanced cleaning and sanitation procedures in an effort to provide healthy campus academic, administrative, housing and support environments. Following guidance from CDC, OSHA and Spectrum Health’s Employer Guide, staff will prioritize services within the university and establish cleaning standards.
Facilities Services is using an antimicrobial product as part of enhanced cleaning and sanitation procedures on campus. MicrobeCare is a long-lasting protective coating that molecularly bonds to all surfaces. The solution destroys microbes, disrupting the growth process and making it unable to reproduce, effectively destroying potentially harmful organisms. The product is safe for skin, clothes and the environment.
The university has also implemented enhanced air handling and water testing procedures, including increased ventilation, outside air intake, inspection, maintenance and cleaning of systems, and increased replacement of air filters.
For more information on enhanced cleaning and sanitation plans, including HVAC protocol, visit Facilities Services.
We need your help! Faculty, staff and students on campus will all play a role in helping with this enhanced cleaning and sanitation plan.
Classrooms and Conference Rooms
- Classrooms and conference rooms will be sanitized daily. Disinfectant spray and hand towels will be available for use during the day as needed.
Specialty Labs (e.g. scientific, computing, studios)
- Lab supervisors will ensure that surfaces and specialty equipment are cleaned appropriately, while Facilities will take care of the floors and trash. Disinfectant spray and hand towels will be available for use during the day as needed.
Lunchrooms and Break Areas
- A limited number of seats will be available to accommodate social distancing of at least 6 feet. Users of these spaces will need to wipe down counters, microwaves, refrigerator handles, vending machines before and after use. Disinfectant spray and paper towels, or disinfectant wipes will be available from Facilities Services for use in these areas.
- Residents within living centers and apartments should wipe down restroom areas, surfaces and frequently touched items (door handles, keyboards, sinks, etc.) using appropriate disinfectant wipes or sprays. Properly dispose of cleaning towels or rags.
- In community restrooms, wipe down surfaces and frequently touched items before and after use with disinfectant wipes or disinfectant spray and paper towels.
- In community kitchens and laundry rooms, wipe down surfaces and appliance controls and touch points before and after each use.
Facilities Services – Custodial Operations
- Custodial operations will be moving to primarily daytime cleaning operations. Staff will focus on frequent cleaning of touch points throughout the day. Restrooms will be cleaned and sanitized twice per day. Crews will wipe down common areas, including tables and furnishings, and will also sweep, mop and vacuum. Disinfection equipment and procedures will be utilized following appropriate guidelines.
- Classrooms will be sanitized daily by custodial staff.
- Offices will have limited service per the established building schedules. Offices and areas where service is not requested can place trash receptacles outside the office or lab for pickup.
- Trash will be removed daily.
- Floor care will primarily occur during overnight hours.
- Departments and lab spaces will be responsible for sensitive or unique equipment including computer screens and keyboards.
- Grand Valley is flushing and testing all water mains on campus. Facilities Services will also flush water mains to each building and test water at individual fixtures within buildings to ensure that water systems are safe.
Facilities Services is continuing to follow OSHA guidelines and apply best practices from the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers for its position on operating buildings to mitigate COVID-19. This includes increased ventilation, outside air intake, inspection, replacement of air filters, maintenance and cleaning of the system.
Personal Work Space
- Faculty, staff and students should maintain social distancing of at least 6 feet. You must wear a mask when this is not possible. Faculty and staff can order personal protective equipment from Facilities Services.
- Wash hands frequently and avoid touching your face. Personal hand sanitizer is advisable if washing your hands is not possible.
- Enter and exit the building at the same entrance.
- Maintain distancing in elevators.
- Be conscious of frequently touched surfaces like handrails, light switches and door handles.
- Disinfect office space surfaces and touch points frequently using a household cleaning spray or disinfectant wipes (computer screens, keyboards, surfaces, door handles, equipment, tools, light switches, chair arms, etc.) Properly dispose of cleaning towels and wash hands.
- Disinfectant sprays and paper towels will be available in office suites to use as needed.
- Dining Services will add staffing to clean and sanitize dining areas at night. Food preparation areas, equipment, and surfaces will be cleaned and sanitized by staff using food-safe sanitizer prior to opening in the morning.
- Additional staffing will maintain the cleaning and sanitation of surfaces throughout the hours of operation. This will include seating areas, surfaces, touch points, condiment counters, beverage counters, and cashier areas. Also sanitizing cash registers, credit card readers and bar code scanners.
Special Cleaning Requests
- Requests can be made by contacting Facilities Customer Service in Allendale at (616) 331-3000 or on the Pew Grand Rapids Campus at (616) 331-6700.