For the health and safety of the Grand Valley community, remote academic instruction will continue through April 25. The Admissions office is available to answer calls Mon.-Fri. from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at 616-331-2025 or 1-800-748-0246 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Additional instructions and updates at www.gvsu.edu/coronavirus
Information Technology News
August 01, 2019
- Office 365 is available for FREE for personal computers/devices
for qualifying GVSU students and employees
- Full-time, part-time, adjunct, affiliate and visiting employees qualify
- Retirees, Temp call-in and part-time maintenance/grounds/service employees do not qualify
- Enrolled students
- Login with your GVSU email and password and download the software here
- Download the software on your personal computers not a GVSU owned one
- Mobile versions can be found in the appropriate app stores
- Each account includes licenses for up to 5 computers and mobile devices
Note for part-time, temporary employees: As of 08/15/19, GVSU will remove personal account from Microsoft Office 365 (O365), which is a cloud based service that you would use from your personal devices to access applications such as Word, Excel, OneDrive, and PowerPoint. This does not affect the use of Microsoft Office applications on a GVSU owned computer.
Microsoft offers a 30-day grace period if you have installed Office 365 on your personal computer or mobile device. Microsoft states that the software should function as normal and generate warning messages during the grace period. There is no grace period for the web-based Office Apps, you will no longer have access to these web apps or the ability to install O365 apps on additional computers or mobile devices. During our testing we have seen inconsistencies in the grace period end date that may allow access to the locally installed applications longer than the 30-day grace period.
We apologize for the inconvenience and wish to provide you with some options for the transition:
- You may purchase Microsoft Office 365 for a monthly or annual fee.
- You may use Google Docs for free – create a Google account and get access to Google Docs, Sheets and Slides, which are similar to Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- You may use WPS Office Suite for free, which is compatible with Microsoft documents.
If you have questions, please contact the IT Helpdesk at 616-331-2101 or email@example.com.
To get the current Office Suite (Windows or Mac) follow these simple steps:
1. For logging in, downloading, and installing on your personal computer follow these directions for office 365.
2. Always select Work or Educational Account (has a card on lanyard icon) then using your GVSU email credentials.
3. For getting iOS or Android Office, use the Apps Store on the mobile device.
Questions, please contact the GVSU IT Helpdesk at 616-331-2101 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.