International Business Careers in Management
An international business focus offers many advantages when applied to a management major.
The Seidman College of Business offers specialty management degrees in:
- Human Resources Management
- Management Information Systems and
- Supply Chain Management
Careers in SCM, HRM, and MIS
Supply Chain Management - International
Supply chain management is a broad field with numerous opportunities in areas across purchasing, logistics, and operations/manufacturing. An international focus is often required.
- Purchasing - Supply chain management professionals research and verify international suppliers; visit suppliers to build relationships and monitor supplier processes; negotiate and draft contracts; manage key performance metrics for suppliers across the globe.
- Logistics - Supply chain management professionals coordinate cargo movement with international carriers in compliance with governmental regulations; design and optimize global logistics networks; optimize product inventory levels in locations across the globe to ensure high levels of customer service.
- Operations/Manufacturing - Supply chain management professionals analyze and optimize the production mix at facilities internationally; carry out regular reviews with counterparts in other regions to ensure process alignment and drive process improvement; contribute to the creation and implementation of best practice across global locations.
- Risk Management - This a critical job in international positions. Supply chain risk management focuses on developing, maintaining, and executing contingency plans in the event of a supply chain disruption.
Human Resource Generalist - International
This position is responsible for administering a wide variety of general Human Resources functions primarily for the international locations. Will also support domestic business groups as needed. Serves as designated expert on the interpretation of Human Resources policies and issues as it relates to the foreign countries where the Company operates. Will develop and update Human Resources policies and procedures for all foreign entities with a concentration on host country labor law and policies and procedures.
System Analyst – Global Operations
The System Analyst, Global Operations (Manufacturing & Quality), for Corporate Information System (CI), will partner with key business stakeholders to automate and streamline end-to-end manufacturing processes. The analyst will analyze and identify key business requirements and identify areas to improve the business through the use of information technology. The analyst will work with business users and globally based IT teams to define requirements, strategize new or leverage existing IT solutions, and develop project documentation (e.g. ROI, Business Case, URS, FRS, etc).
Careers in Supply Chain Management
In the supply chain management, job titles may include purchasing administrator, freight forwarder, customs broker, global logistics manager and supply chain analyst. For example:
Purchasing Administrators obtain raw materials and finished goods from foreign and domestic suppliers by tracking conditions in foreign locations; identifying and qualifying suppliers; negotiating contracts; maintaining records.
Global Logistics Managers develop and execute a Global Logistics Network. The global and group level nature of this role presents significant challenges. The fact that facilities, suppliers, and customers are located in several countries throughout the world makes it challenging to optimize the material flow. Ensuring an efficient logistics network is in place to support the broadly based customers' needs, especially in a business growth cycle, are a significant challenge.
Supply Chain Analysts create and implement supplier strategies regarding pricing, supplier development and performance, value-added service, and continuous improvement. This position also takes a lead in working across the supply chain system and company stakeholders with the goal of minimizing the cost of purchased materials and services across all areas of the company.