LAKERS TOGETHER: COVID vaccine required by September 30. Face coverings required indoors.
GVSU Framework and I&E Strategic Plan
Framework for Inclusion and Equity at GVSU
The Framework for Inclusion and Equity at GVSU is intended to articulate the university’s understanding of diversity, equity, and inclusion. The framework calls for a multifaceted and coordinated approach that focuses on: the diversity of our community (equity), the environment we create for our community (campus climate), and the development and learning of members of our community (curriculum and training).
The framework encourages the campus to embrace a social justice and intersectional identity approach to its diversity, equity, and inclusion work moving forward, and highlights a continued need to be strategic and accountable. Grand Valley, as a complex social system, is neither immune to the impact nor the root causes of systemic inequality and while these dynamics are not always under the university’s direct control, the Framework for Equity and Inclusion at GVSU provides necessary accountability to ensure even greater progress for all communities. An intersectional identity approach considers and affirms the role of multiple identities with relationship to various social contexts and interlocking systems of power, privilege, and oppression in shaping experiences of our community members and requires intentional efforts across identity groups. All of this work will be guided by thoughtful planning and be evidence-based, data-driven and action-oriented.
While the Division of Inclusion and Equity takes a leadership role in advancing this Framework for Equity and Inclusion through its divisional strategic plan, the participation of the entire campus is essential to its success. Equity and inclusion makes each member of our community better and is fundamental to what it means to be a Laker.
Access the full document here. This document is a dynamic and living document, open for comment and reflection. All members of the community are encouraged to provide statements or comments of support, critiques, recommendations, comments, and/or questions. Submit feedback or drop by the Division of Inclusion and Equity at 4035 JHZ.
Strategic Plan for the Division of Inclusion and Equity (working document)
The Division of Inclusion and Equity takes a leadership role in advancing this Framework for Inclusion and Equity through its divisional strategic plan, the participation of the entire campus is essential to its success. The Framework for Equity and Inclusion guided identification of strategic priorities for the Division of Inclusion and Equity for 2015-2016.
In the Division of Inclusion and Equity, we have identified six strategic functions that will guide our work over the next several years:
- Coordinate and provide leadership for the university’s extensive efforts to advance inclusion and equity that engage all members of the community, with a central focus on supporting the university’s diverse and historically underrepresented communities.
- Assure the university complies with all relevant federal and state laws, university policies, and requirements related to civil rights including all facets of promoting and monitoring equal employment opportunity and affirmative action, developing related educational programs, and preventing or responding to issues of harassment, discrimination, and bias.
- Provide consultation and support to deans, colleges/schools, departments, and divisions to implement strategies that assist in achieving a more diverse and inclusive university through strategic planning, campus climate initiatives, program evaluation, pipeline development strategies, and recruitment and retention initiatives for underrepresented students, faculty, and staff.
- Direct a comprehensive social justice education and intercultural competency for social justice program for the campus community, using both formal and informal delivery methods to address the broad range of relevant issues, in an effort to develop a shared understanding of social justice and equity and support continual self and professional development of all community members.
- Represent the university in local, state, and national dialogues related to equity and inclusion and engage all members of the community in understanding the vision and values for social justice while advancing the university’s reputation as a pioneer, content expert, and dedicated advocate.
- Advocate for and demonstrate equity-mindedness in all university functions, particularly providing support for the continued evaluation, implementation, and updating, as necessary, of university policies, procedures, and planning, and monitoring of progress toward meeting the university’s goal to be more diverse and inclusive.
The division's efforts and planning are open for comment and feedback. Access the full document here. This document is a dynamic and living document, open for comment and reflection. All members of the community are encouraged to provide statements or comments of support, critiques, recommendations, comments, and/or questions. Submit feedback or drop by the Division of Inclusion and Equity at 4035 JHZ.