LAKERS TOGETHER: Find out how we're moving forward. Learn about campus safety measures including testing, face coverings and vaccines.
What do students like about the HTM program at GVSU?
- Small class sizes (largest HTM class is approximately 40 students, the mean size is 27).
- An applied teaching philosophy (making sense of the theory to practice which is crucial in a professional major such as HTM).
- Flexibility in their academic plans (we will work one-on-one with students to customize a part of their HTM education to suit their individual career goals).
- Welcoming culture (all faculty are approachable and prioritize teaching and student development).
- Sound business underpinning to the curriculum (our students only have to take two extra classes (six credits) in the Business School to obtain a business minor).
- Three levels of academic support. Students work with an academic advisor, a faculty mentor and our internship coordinator to complement their classroom studies with sound practical internships.
- International learning opportunities in Costa Rica and at the Cannes International Film Festival in Cannes, France.
- A strong, professional relationship with faculty (faculty are engaged in student-led events and often seek to take students to professional conferences). For example, students have regularly attended professional conferences like the Michigan Recreation & Parks Association (mParks) annual conference, Pure Michigan Governor's Conference on Tourism, Professional Convention and Meeting Association (PCMA)'s Convening Leaders conference, and the Resort and Commercial Recreation Association (RCRA) conference.
- Other related activities include class trips to vineyards, food production operations, hotel and convention center tours, faculty-led experiences such as attending the Munising Ice Festival, and other events. All these activities are designed to embrace our 'applied teaching and learning philosophy'.
- The HTM Club student organization.
This is just a sample of the many activities one can engage in. We encourage student participation as a way of enhancing educational development.
Please explore our website for more examples and news on student involvement in these types of projects.
For questions, please contact us at email@example.com.