GVSU Emergency Paid Sick Leave (EPSL)
GVSU EPSL has been reinstated and is in effect for vaccinated employees, those in the process of becoming vaccinated, and for those with GVSU approved exemptions, starting September 7, 2021 and ending June 30, 2022.
To provide extra care to those who are vaccinated, in the process of becoming vaccinated, or have a GVSU approved exemption, GVSU is reinstating the GVSU Emergency Paid Sick Leave (EPSL) to help ensure employees are able to observe quarantine and isolation guidelines related to COVID-19 for the Fall 2021 and Winter 2022 semesters. This additional employer provided benefit will expire on June 30, 2022. There will be an allotment of 80 hours (50 hours for student employees) of paid leave in effect on September 7, 2021 for eligible employees regardless if any EPSL time was taken previously. The 80 hours (50 hours for student employees) will reset January 1, 2022 and end June 30, 2022.
This leave provides up to 80 hours (up to 50 hours for student employees) of paid leave for eligible employees for the following reasons:
- The employee is subject to a quarantine or isolation order related to COVID-19.
- The employee has been advised by a health care provider to self-quarantine due to concerns related to COVID-19.
- The employee is experiencing COVID-19 symptoms and is seeking medical diagnosis.
- The employee is caring for an individual who is subject to a quarantine or isolation order related to COVID-19.
- The employee is caring for a child whose school or place of care has been closed due to COVID-19.
- The employee needs reasonable time off to receive the COVID-19 vaccination.
- The employee is experiencing adverse effects within the first 48 hours following vaccination.
From September 7, 2021 - June 30, 2022 employees will be able to use leave time from the reinstated GVSU EPSL balance for qualifying events. The available hours will reset January 1, 2022.
- For the qualifying events, eligible employees will be able to use GVSU EPSL (up to a maximum of 80 hours) before using other paid leave balances.
- All employees must complete/submit the EPSL form.
- Eligible student employees are able to utilize up to a maximum of 50 hours of EPSL, by completing the EPSL form and submitting the requested documentation.
- Once approved, Human Resources will log time using the EPS time code in UltraTime.
- EPSL must be used based on the employee’s standard work day.
- Once forms have been processed, the employee and supervisor will receive a communication from Human Resources confirming the request has been processed.
- If an employee is not eligible for EPSL or EPSL has been exhausted, employees will need to use other applicable paid leave balances (salary continuation/sick, vacation) to cover leave time before being in an unpaid status.