Work Life Blog
As we approach the busy holiday months, it is important to remind ourselves to remain grounded and present minded. This year has continued to bring many changes, which often move us further away from our center point. Whether embracing loved ones or meal prepping, we must remember to take time for ourselves. One way to do this is to identify and effectively utilize our coping skills toolbox. Although figurative, this toolbox can prove to be beneficial when we find ourselves stressed and need to have a break from our current environment.
Coping Skills Toolbox
- Get enough sleep.
- Exercise regularly. Getting 30 minutes of exercise a day can boost mood and reduce stress. Encompass resource: How to Make an Exercise Plan.
- Build a social support system.
- Set priorities. Identify what needs to be completed and what can wait. Saying no to a new task is helpful, especially if it is going to put you into overload. Encompass resource: Time Management and Stress Management Tool Kit.
- Think positive. Encompass resource: Practicing Gratitude: Ways to Improve Positivity
- Try relaxation methods. Mindfulness, yoga, and meditation are great places to start.
- Seek help. Talk with a mental health professional if you feel you are unable to cope, are having any suicidal thoughts or use drugs or alcohol to cope, or to work through the tools mentioned above.
As always, remember that Encompass EAP is here to help. If you would like to meet with me this holiday season, please email me at [email protected] to schedule an appointment.
New to My Life Expert? Set up an account using the company code, GVSUNI. For additional assistance, learn how to make a My Life Expert account.