Winter 2022 Semester Closing Information
Move Out by 10pm on Friday, April 29
All personal belongings must be removed from unit. Any items requiring removal by housing staff will result in additional charges.
- Emptying all drawers, shelves, cupboards
- Removing shower curtains, hangers, cleaning items, etc.
- Emptying refrigerators/freezers, stoves/ovens, etc.
- Checking underneath mattress, behind furniture, closets/wardrobes
- Carefully remove posters, pictures, tape, LED lighting, and/or command strips from walls and furniture
- All trash should be properly disposed of
- Recycle items via recycling bins
- Donate usable items in good condition to Project Donation
In order to avoid unnecessary damage, cleaning or administrative charges, please ensure that your unit is properly emptied and cleaned. It is recommended that you review these expectations thoroughly.
- Wipe down all drawers, shelves and cupboards; ensure drawers/doors can open
- All furniture and countertop surfaces should be wiped clean with a non-abrasive general purpose cleaner
- All floors should be swept/vacuumed
- Ovens and stovetops should be cleaned thoroughly using a general purpose cleaner, degreaser or oven cleaner
- Refrigerators/freezers wiped clean
- Walls, floor and fixtures of shower/tub should be thoroughly cleaned with a non-abrasive cleaner
- Toilet bowl and seat should be thoroughly cleaned with appropriate toilet/bathroom cleaner
- Clean shower/bath tub
- All walls should be wiped clean of any dust, spills, marks, etc.
- Return furniture to original/lofted layout
- Wipe down all surfaces/countertops
- Clean, shut & lock windows; close blinds
- Turn off lights and set thermostat to 65 degrees
Once you have completely emptied and cleaned your unit:
- Check your mailbox one last time
- Complete an express checkout envelope
- Place your room/mailbox key(s) inside the checkout envelope
- Seal and place in your community misdirected mailbox or turn into appropriate desk
RETURN KEYS (TURN IN EXPRESS CHECKOUT ENVELOPE)
Coepland, Devos, Frey, Hills, Hoobler, Johnson, Kirkpatrick, Kistler, North C, Ott, Pew, Pickard, Pine, Robinson, Sediman, Stafford, Swanson, Weed
Misdirected mail box located in your living center
Holton-Hooker, Maple, Oak, Pine
Calder, Murray, Niemeyer East & West, South C/D/E, VanSteeland
Misdirected mail box located in your living center
Grand Valley Apartments (GVA), Laker Village North and South Apartments
Misdirected mail box located in your community center
Winter, Secchia (Downtown Campus)
After you checkout, a staff member will document any damages in the room and ensure that you have removed all your belongings.
Fees related to move out will be placed on student accounts in mid-May, and you will be notified via your student email.
Extended Stay Requests
THERE IS A $35.00 PER NIGHT FEE FOR EXTENDED STAY REQUESTS, BEGINNING FRIDAY, APRIL 29.
Residents who are graduating (or residents who are working at graduation events) may stay in their current unit until 12:00pm (noon) on Sunday, May 1, at no additional fee.
If you are NOT going to be living on campus for the upcoming Spring/Summer semester and need to be in your unit any time after 10 p.m. Friday April 29th, submission of a extended stay form is REQUIRED.
- Residents may submit a request to stay in their current unit until Tuesday, May 3, 2022.
- Residents may request an extended stay until Wednesday, May 4, through Friday, May 6, 2022, but they will be moved to an alternative area on campus as early as Friday, April 29, 2022.
- Any student needing housing on campus after Friday, May 6, must register for a Spring semester housing contract. Contracts can be prorated for early departures, but are charged at a minimum of 3 weeks.
Apply through Banner > myHousing > Apply | Cancel | Forms
- Extended stay requests are due by Tuesday, April 19, 2022. Requests submitted after April 19, 2022 are subject to an administrative late fee of $25.
- You are NOT guaranteed permission to stay. Housing and Residence Life reserves the right to grant or deny any Extended Stay request. Information and approval for these requests will be sent on/after Monday, April 25.
Transition to Spring/Summer On-Campus Housing
Residents who are living on campus for the Spring/Summer 2022 terms will not complete an extended stay request. Instead, they are required to complete the W22 Transition to SS22 - ONLY FOR SS Residents who also have W22 Housing form found on Banner > myHousing > Apply | Cancel | Forms. Transitioning residents will select one of the two following options:
Students opting to remain on campus during the transition between Winter 2022 and Spring/Summer 2022
- The transition period will run from Friday, April 29, through Friday, May 6, exact move date depends on your summer housing assignment unit availability.
- Once notified your summer unit is ready, you will have 48 hours to move between units.
- NOTE: If you choose this option, you must remain on/near campus with your belongings packed and ready to relocate to your new assignment within 48 hours of notification. Failure to move within 48 hours of notification may result in additional fees.
Students checking out at close of Winter, who are returning for Spring/Summer 2022
- Students who will not be staying on campus during the transition between Winter and Summer must completely vacate their Winter Semester unit by 10pm on Friday April 29th.
- These students are eligible to check into their Summer Semester unit between May 6-8.
- GVSU does not offer any type of storage for student belongings. Students must coordinate their own storage for the break period between semesters.