LAKERS TOGETHER: Find out how we're moving forward.
Damages & Charges
Charges are used by the Office of Housing and Residence Life to reduce damage, protect residents, and to stabilize housing costs. These charges are billed directly to the students account by the Office of Housing and Residence Life. Fees/charges may be paid online or at the registrar's windows at the Student Services Building in Allendale or DeVos Building C in Grand Rapids.
Individual room/apartment damages will be assessed by the full-time professional staff after departure/check-out or throughout the course of the year. It is the responsibility of the occupant(s) to pay for the replacement or repair of damaged property within a resident's room or in areas adjacent to it (i.e., windows, doors, and suite study areas). If you have any questions about this policy, see your Living Center Director or Assistant Living Center Director.
Fees may also be assessed within the community for actions including, but not limited to, leaving bags of trash in the hallway or propping open exterior building doors. Public area damage remaining after final check out (or not assessed during the semester ) will be divided and charged to each resident's account. The fees/charges listed are not an exhaustive list, and other charges may be added at the discretion of Housing staff.
NOTE: Due to FERPA laws, we cannot give out specific damage information and rationale to family members/guardians, so make sure students are calling our office personally with questions or concerns in regards to charges on their account. Even if students have given family members/guardians consent via the Student Accounts Office Release on myBanner, this does NOT cover Housing specifics of the details of these charges.
Housing & Residence Life will consider appeals for damages and/or fees associated at the end of each semester. Appeals will have to be received within a particular timeline of the charge (varies by semester).
The following circumstances are not considered valid reasons for an appeal:
- Time constraints during move out. For example, not allowing enough time to defrost a refrigerator, take out trash/recycling, clean thoroughly, or to remove all personal items, etc.
- Lack of knowledge regarding move out and closing procedures. All move out and closing information was outlined by Housing & Residence Life through your Living Center Director, Resident Assistant staff, email correspondence, community or floor meetings and/or community bulletin boards.
- Damage not listed on a Room Condition Report (RCR) by Housing staff or resident at move In. Failure to complete an RCR will result in the resident being responsible for all damage.
- Public area or community damages. If we are unable to ascertain who caused damage, these damages will be prorated and divided among all the residents of the wing, floor, or building collectively. Click HERE to view your contract.
- Failure to return all items at checkout (access card, keys, laundry card).
End of semester fees can be reviewed via MyHousing under the "More Tasks" tab as follows:
- The "Room Condition Report" will indicate the original and current status of our room.
- The "Billing Summary" will outline the fees associated with your on-campus residency. When viewing the "Billing Summary" select the Winter 2019 semester. Each end of semester charge will have "This billing item has not yet been posted to your student account".
- Charges will be listed as "This billing item has not yet been posted to your student account" on May 8, 2019.
Appeals are handled through an application process. Students will sign in to myBanner, go to myHousing and select the appropriate application from the drop down menu to complete their appeal. Winter Semester 2019 appeals will be accepted until 5 p.m. Friday, May 17th. Review of appeals begins Monday, May 20th with final decisions no later than May 24th.
Further questions can be directed to the Living Center Director of your community.