LAKERS TOGETHER: COVID vaccine required by September 30. Face coverings required indoors.
First Year Housing Assignments
How to View Your Housing Assignment
Roommate and room assignment information is subject to change. To access your most up to date room assignment & roommate contact information, follow the steps below:
- Access myBanner with your GVSU credentials supplied in your letter of admission.
- Once logged in, select "Student" and then select "myHousing".
- Your housing assignment and roommate information will be listed under "My Assignments" in your myHousing portal.
NOTE: The myHousing Overview will be unavailable from mid-May through mid-June during the freshmen housing assignment process.
Contact email@example.com for additional housing assignment questions or concerns.
First Year Housing Assignments
First year students are eligible to select Cluster Style, Suite Style, Traditional Style, 1 Bedroom Apartment Style, 2 Bedroom Apartment Style and/or a Living-Learning Community as Housing Preferences on their Applications. You will not be assigned Housing until you have submitted preferences into your application. We highly recommend that you select at least three Housing Style preferences. Students that don't list any housing preferences will be placed in traditional style.
You will be hand-placed by housing staff for your first year and will receive your housing assignment in late-June via your GVSU student email.
First year students applying by May 1 are guaranteed an on-campus housing placement. Assignments are made in application date order and based on space availability.
Traditional Style is the default preference for all Incoming Freshmen. Due to COVID-19, traditional units will be single occupancy.
Interested in a Living-Learning Community?
Research shows that living in a community has a strong effect on student learning and achievement as students in LLCs connect more intentionally and naturally with peers, faculty members, and staff members. Grand Valley has a variety of these communities in Allendale and Grand Rapids, each with different interest areas and themes. Visit the Living-Learning Communities page to learn more.
Any student requesting a specific housing assignment based on a medical condition must register with Disability Support Resources. Housing accommodations will be coordinated based on DSR Advisor recommendations, date of application, and space availability.
Room Change Requests - Before Move In
If you would like to be added to a waiting list for a freshman style of housing, please follow the steps below:
- Access myBanner with your network ID and password.
- Once logged in, select "Student" and then select "myHousing."
- Select "Apply/Cancel/Forms" and then “Room Change Waiting List - Incoming 1st year students." Complete the form and submit.
- In the case of matched roommates, both students must submit the room change request form if they want to remain together.
If you would like to move to a Living Learning Community, please contact the housing office via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Room Change Requests - After Move In
Room change requests are reviewed on a case by case basis and processed on an individual basis pending space availability. Space is limited and reassignment is not guaranteed. You are encouraged to work with your RA and Living Center Director staff to assist you with any roommate concerns you may be experiencing.
Cancellation of Future Housing Contract Before Residency
If you no longer intend to live on campus for a future semester in which you have an active application, please go to your myHousing overview to cancel your application.
- Login with your user ID and password.
- Click on Apply / Cancel / Forms.
- Click on Cancel Your (semester) Housing Application. Make sure that you click on the correct semester that you are canceling.
- Fill out the few questions and submit.
- You will receive a copy of your cancellation letter in the mail.
Cancellations for Fall and Spring/Summer semesters received prior to May 1 are eligible for a refund of the $150 housing deposit. Cancellations for Winter semester received prior to November 1 are eligible for a refund of the $150 housing deposit.
The submission of the Cancel Form will cancel your housing application and contract for the semester selected. If you are seeking to make a CHANGE to a future housing assignment, do not submit a Cancel Form. Please see room change requests information.