Orientation Tour Guide
Orientation Tour Guides facilitate housing tours during Parent/Supporter Orientation and act as representatives of Housing and Residence Life. Duties include, but not limited to, leading tour groups up to 30 people to show our housing showrooms, participating in a student panel, and assisting in facilitation of lunch. Staff are expected to be able to work with limited supervision, using independent judgment and initiative to provide excellent customer service assistance to students, visitors, Housing and Residence Life staff, and other University constituents.
Orientation Tour Guides develop strong communication, customer service, critical thinking, and leadership skills. They serve as a resource for campus information and serve as a representative of Housing and Residence Life (HRL) and GVSU. All HRL student positions are expected to uphold the mission and values of HRL and GVSU, and to provide professional customer service. Orientation is held throughout the Spring/Summer semester, and it is expected that Tour Guides are able to work the entire duration (May-August). Shifts are Monday-Friday typically between 11:00 am and 5:00 p.m.
- Current Grand Valley State University student.
- Good academic and disciplinary standing.
- Ability to effectively and professionally communicate and engage with students, parents/supporters, team members and supervisors.
- Understanding of and ability to provide positive customer service practices.
- Available to attend job training in the week between winter semester classes end and spring/summer classes begin.
- Ability to stand for an extended period of time and walk long distances.
- Work in extreme weather conditions.
- Uphold the mission, vision, and values of the University and Department.
- Create positive relationships with students, parents/supporters, and other GVSU staff members.
- Maintain consistent attendance and punctuality at all scheduled work shifts.
- Provide excellent customer service to students, staff and guests.
- Abide by Housing and Residence Life, Student Code, and other University policies, conditions and guidelines.
- Ability to manage emergency/crisis response situations.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor(s).
- Orientation Tour Guides report directly to the Orientation Tour Guide Supervisor(s) and HRL Marketing & Communications Manager.
- Must attend mandatory training. Dates TBD.
- Candidates living on campus for Spring/Summer terms
- Customer service experience
- Ability to drive a golf cart
- Work approximately 10-40 hours per two-week, pay period.
- Tour Guides may be required to work during periods in which there are no classes.
Grand Valley State University Housing and Residence Life employment opportunities are open to eligible/qualified persons without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation, marital status, or family status. Persons with disabilities have the right to request and receive reasonable accommodations.