Move Crew Team Members perform operational functions with facilities on campus and furniture in the living centers. Staff are expected to be able to work with limited supervision, using independent judgment and initiative to provide excellent customer service assistance to students, visitors, Housing and Residence Life staff, and other University constituents.
Move Crew Team Members develop strong communication skills, customer service, teamwork, and serve as a resource for campus information and other duties as assigned by supervisor. Hours of work vary throughout the academic year and summer months. All HRL student positions are expected to uphold the mission and values of HRL and GVSU, and to provide professional customer service.
- Current Grand Valley State University undergraduate student
- Good academic and disciplinary standing
- Ability to effectively and professionally communicate with customers, team members and supervisors
- Understanding of and ability to provide positive customer service practices
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Flexibility to work some night/weekend shifts/term breaks
- Available to arrive before courses begin for job training
- Must have chauffeurs license to drive truck or cargo van
- Ability to lift up to 60 pounds
- Assist with Housing and Residence Life furniture and equipment deliveries
- Move large items or furniture within and around campus
- Repair residential furniture and loft furniture to prepare units for student move in
- Assist with camps, guest and conference facility preparation
- Drive a cargo van or truck
- Tracking and maintenance of Housing furniture inventory
- Maintain consistent attendance and punctuality at all scheduled work shifts, meetings and trainings
- Assist with residential student cable TV concerns
- Abide by FERPA and Clery regulations
- Abide by Housing and Residence Life, Student Code, Information Technology and other University policies, conditions and guidelines
- Create positive relationships with residents and other GVSU staff members
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor(s)
- Ability to manage low level emergency/crisis response situations.
- Move Crew Team members report to the Housing Facilities Manager
- Candidates living on campus for academic terms
- Candidates with Work-Study status preferred
- Work approximately 20-40 hours per two-week, pay period
- Approval from direct supervisor for additional on- or off-campus employment
- Move Crew Team Members may be required to work during periods in which there are no classes and/or the University is closed.
Grand Valley State University Housing and Residence Life employment opportunities are open to eligible/qualified persons without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation, marital status, or family status. Persons with disabilities have the right to request and receive reasonable accommodations.