Mail & Package Center Assistant
Mail and Package Center Assistants perform Ravine Mail and Package Center administrative functions including answering phone calls and emails, working with facilities, mail and packages, and general customer service. Staff are expected to be able to work with limited supervision, using independent judgment and initiative to provide excellent customer service assistance to students, visitors, Housing and Residence Life staff, and other University constituents.
Mail and Package Center Assistants develop strong communication skills, customer service, teamwork, and serve as a resource for campus information and other duties as assigned by supervisor(s). All HRL student positions are expected to uphold the mission and values of HRL and GVSU, and to provide professional customer service.
- Current Grand Valley State University student
- Good academic and disciplinary standing
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office, Google suite, as well as general computer literacy
- Ability to effectively and professionally communicate with customers, team members, and supervisors
- Ability to provide positive customer service practices
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Flexibility to work some night/weekend shifts and term breaks
- Available for job training before Fall courses begin
- Uphold the mission, vision, and values of the University and Department.
- Answer phones, respond to emails, and complete other administrative/clerical tasks.
- Provide excellent customer service, coordinating appropriate response to residential concerns and facilities issues.
- Create positive relationships with colleagues and GVSU staff/faculty.
- Maintain records and written communication with teammates via regular and thorough entries in the GroupMe and Desk Log.
- Maintain consistent attendance and punctuality at all scheduled work shifts, meetings and trainings.
- Utilize technology to perform job duties including The Housing Director, Google Suite, and GVSU website.
- Ability to manage low level emergency/crisis response situations.
- Abide by FERPA regulations; maintaining confidentiality of student records.
- Abide by Clery and Responsible Employee regulations; serving as a Campus Security Authority (CSA) which includes specific training, notification of role, and reporting responsibilities.
- Abide by Housing and Residence Life, Student Code, Information Technology and other University policies, conditions and guidelines.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor(s).
- Mail and Package Center Assistants report directly to the Mail and Package Center Student Supervisor and the Housing and Residence Life Services Coordinator.
- Candidates living on campus for academic year (Fall/Winter terms)
- Candidates with Work-Study status
- Available to work approximately 10-35 hours per two-week, pay period. University student work hours cannot exceed 25 hours within a week. Extended hours offered during university breaks and spring/summer term.
- Mail and Package Center Assistants may be required to work during periods in which there are no classes and/or the University is closed.
- Mail & Package Center Assistants are considered student employees at Classification 2. Entry-level students will be paid at Level A. Raises will be considered on an annual basis for returning staff based on performance and length of employment. Click here for more information about on-campus wage rates.
Grand Valley State University Housing and Residence Life employment opportunities are open to eligible/qualified persons without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation, marital status, or family status. Persons with disabilities have the right to request and receive reasonable accommodations.