Skip to main content

Officer and Department Complaints

The Grand Valley State University citizens complaint procedure provides the public with a due process mechanism in cases of suspected police corruption or misconduct.

Citizens that have complaints or grievances against police officers or the department arising out of acts or omissions of officers of the department will be referred to a supervisor. Complaints regarding department procedure can often be resolved by explaining the procedure to the complainant. If the complainant is satisfied with the explanation, no further investigation is needed. The supervisor will conduct an investigation for all other complaints. When deemed appropriate, the complainant may choose to meet with the officer(s) involved to discuss the incident. The complainant will be notified of the results of the investigation.

The completed investigation and findings will be forwarded to the Director of Public Safety or designee, who will make a decision regarding the disposition of the complaint.

Visit the police department in person or contact the department by phone (616-331-3255) and request to speak with a supervisor reference an officer complaint.

Grand Valley State University Public Safety Liaison Committee

Citizens that are not satisfied with the resolution of the complaint will be advised that they may file a formal complaint with the Public Safety Liaison Committee. The citizen will be provided with the committees brochure and complaint form (located at the front desk) whenever possible. As an alternative, the citizen will be advised of the location of the committees information: Public Safety, Information Desk at the Kirkhof Center, and the Human Resources Department. The information is also available via the Public Safetys web site.

Citizen complaints filed with the Grand Valley Public Safety Liaison Committee must meet the requirements set forth by that committees policy. A copy of the policy is located on the Grand Valley State University Public Safety web site. Informational brochures are located at the Public Safety Department, as well as the Information Desk in the Kirkof Center, and Human Resources. The committee encourages the complainant to first attempt an informal resolution of the grievance with the Department of Public Safety.