Groundswell Summer Institute Day 1 (1 of 3) - 7/31/2023
Date and Time
Monday, July 31, 2023 8:30 AM - 3:30 PM
You can RSVP for this event
Day 1 (7/31/2023): Seidman Forum, GVSU Pew Campus, Grand Rapids
This is a registration for all three days of Summer Institute: Day 1 (7/31), Day 2 (8/1), Day 3 (8/2)
Registration Closes Friday, July 21st at 5:00PM EST
Are you a teacher new to place-based education (PBE)? Maybe you have implemented PBE in your classroom and want to learn more?
The institute this year will lead you through the six elements of a PBE project so you can implement an awesome experience back at your school. Groundswell is offering this free workshop to educators which includes expert facilitation, classroom material give-aways, and provided meals each day for participants (a value of $400 per attendee).
Why should you join us for this workshop?
- Expert facilitators! Mary Whitmore, the founder of the Great Lakes Stewardship Initiative (GLSI) and co-author of the GLSI PBE Principles will co-lead the institute with Erica Johnson, Project Specialist from the Muskegon Area Intermediate School District.
- A detailed walk-through of how to implement a PBE experience in your classroom.
- Attendance provides you with information and eligibility for Groundswell project funds in the 2023-2024 academic year (up to $1,500 for your school).
- For the first 30 educators to register, a sponsored registration to the fall 2023 GLSI PBE conference in downtown Grand Rapids*, a $370 value.
- Make connections with fantastic West Michigan experts who can offer classroom support and guidance with your school project.
*Sponsored registration for the Fall 2023 GLSI PBE Conference will only be available to teachers in the Groundswell Network area (Ottawa, Kent, and Allegan counties)
Participants are expected to commit to the three days of the institute.
Total State Continuing Education Clock Hours (SCECHs) available for all three days: 17.25
If you have a scheduling conflict that may inhibit your attendance on one of these days, please reach out to Clay Pelon at [email protected].
Day 1 Description: What is Place-Based Education?
Seidman Forum, GVSU Pew Campus, Grand Rapids
You will join experts from Groundswell’s parent organization, the Great Lakes Stewardship Initiative, to get back to the roots of palace-based education (PBE). Join your peers in examining the importance of community and place through guided activities, and work with your fellow educators to come up with ways to use PBE in the classroom.
Mara Spears, Groundswell Program specialist: [email protected]