Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions for the Educational Technology M.Ed. Program


QDo I qualify for admission into the Online Education Technology M.Ed. degree program?

A: If you are not already enrolled in the GVSU COE on-campus hybrid/blended graduate educational technology degree program, and you live outside the tri-county (Kent, Ottawa and Muskegon) area, you qualify for the online program. If you were accepted in the on-campus hybrid program, but have moved out of the tri-county area, you can request a special exemption and enroll in our online courses. You must change your permanent residence in Banner to qualify for the online courses and then contact the program coordinator (e-mail: requesting this exception.


QIs there a sequence of courses that I need to follow to complete the M.Ed. degree program?

A: There is no required sequence of courses that students need to follow. However, EDT 621 requires a prerequisite of 12 credits BEFORE students can enroll. This course has been designated in our program for students who wish to enroll in a thesis (EDT 693) for their capstone, and students must declare their intent to write a thesis as required by university policies. For more information, see the M.Ed. Capstone options section below. Other courses do not have prerequisites.


QI have applied to the M.Ed. program in educational technology. What should I do now?

A: Students will receive a letter from the College of Education indicating that they have been accepted into the graduate program. Once accepted, the university will send you a letter with your student (G) number, user name and PIN, you can enroll in courses using Banner. You should also be contacted by the program coordinator with information about how to enroll in courses, setup an advising session, etc.

After being accepted to the program, please do the following:

  • Complete and submit the online self-assessment before registering for any courses. This technology self-assessment is designed to ensure that students who take graduate educational technology emphasis area courses have the knowledge and skill required to be successful in these classes.
  • Fill out, sign and return a planned program sheet for the M.Ed. degree in educational technology: this sheet can be obtained from your faculty advisor or by e-mailing A planned program can be setup for the Master’s degree as well as the professional certificate option. You may take 6 credits in the program prior to committing to a planned program. This Adobe Acrobat format file (PDF) can be opened in Acrobat Reader and allows you to enter your personal information into the planned program form. Open the file and click on the Name, Student G-number, Address, etc. fields and type in your information. To officially sign the document, you will also need a digital ID. If you already have one, you can attach it when you click on the Student Signature field. If you do not have one, you can create one by following the instructions and prompts. Once signed, you should send the updated planned program to


QWill I be assigned an academic advisor?

A: You will need to contact the College of Education to be assigned an academic advisor. Please contact the Student Information Services Center (SISC) at 616-331-6650 or via email: Advising sessions are available via telephone, online in BlackBoard Collaborate/IM, or on-campus in a face-to-face meeting at our downtown Grand Rapids campus. Once you have been assigned an academic advisor, you can locate your academic advisor and their contact information by following the video tutorial available.


A: Banner includes all courses offered by GVSU and only those courses identified as Online in the Location column do not require on-campus class sessions. Hybrid courses have some required on-campus time and are generally for students in our on-campus programs.

Online program students need to ensure that the courses they register for are designated as ONLINE course offerings in Banner.


Q: I tried to enroll in an online course in Banner, but it says a permit is required for the course? What do I need to do to get a permit to enroll?

A: Sections indicated as "online" in Banner are only available to students in our online M.Ed. degree, whereas sections identified as "hybrid" or weekend format are available to all students. If you live in the tri-county (Kent, Ottawa and Muskegon) area, then you do not qualify for the online program and will take hybrid/weekend courses instead. Only students in the online degree program will be guaranteed seats in the online educational technology courses. Students may request a permit (override) for an online course within Banner via the Registration Override Request Form.

If you have a question about an available course, you can contact the Student Information Services Center (SISC) at 616-331-6650 or via email: Be sure to indicate in your e-mail if you are a student in the Online Ed Tech program.


QWhich elective courses qualify in this program?

A: If you are a K-12 teacher, you are required to complete a field experience (EDT 685) as part of your planned program. This field experience replaces elective credits for K-12 teachers in the program. This is a requirement mandated by the COE's federal accreditation agency, NCATE/CAEP. 

For professionals in the field of education (i.e. non-K-12 teachers), elective credits can take the form of graduate courses at GVSU, graduate courses from other colleges of universities that are accredited by NCATE/CAEP, or graduate-level credits offered by school districts, ISD’s, or other academic agencies. Please talk with your academic advisor to discuss valid elective courses.


Q: I am returning to my M.Ed. degree, having not completed courses in a few years. How long can courses taken in the past count towards my degree? Is there anything else I need to do before enrolling in courses again?

A: All courses to be counted for a master‘s degree at GVSU must be completed within 8-years of taking the first course towards a planned program. This time limit is a way of ensuring the student‘s validity and currency of knowledge at the time of graduation. If a course in your program is more than 8-years old, you will need to contact your advisor to apply for a waiver through the Dean of Graduate Studies.

Students who have not completed a course in a year or more will also need to contact the Registrar’s Office to change their status in Banner, as you will not be listed as an active student. The Registrar’s Office can be reached at or (616) 331-3327.


Q: I am interested in transferring graduate credits from another institution. How do I go about this?

A: In order for graduate-level credits to transfer, they need to meet the following requirements:

  • They must to be graduate-level credits.
  • They must to be from an accredited institution of higher learning. This includes other colleges or universities that are accredited by NCATE/CAEP, graduate-level credits offered by school districts, ISD's, or other academic agencies.
  • They must be approved by an academic advisor.

If your credits from another institution qualify, you need to request that an official copy of your transcript from that institution be sent to the GVSU Registrar’s office. Once the transcript has been received, you should contact your advisor and setup an appointment to request completion of the paperwork to transfer those credits into your planned program.


Q: What is the graduate certificate in online/blended instruction?

A: This is a 12-credit graduate certificate in online/blended instruction and assessment, and is an option for professionals who are looking to assist with online/blended instruction. The certificate requires completion of four (4) courses – EDT 635, EDT 629, EDT 684 {certificate field experience} & EDT 636. Most of these courses can be completed in combination with the M.Ed. degree or through the certification.

More information on the certificate can be found on the College of Education's Graduate Certificates page.


Q: I moved outside the tri-county area. Do I now qualify for the online program or courses?

A: If you were accepted in the on-campus hybrid program but have moved out of the tri-county area, you can request a special exemption and enroll in our online courses. You must change your permanent residence in Banner to qualify for the online courses and then contact the program coordinator (e-mail: requesting this exception.


Q: Am I required to complete field experience in EDT 685?

A: Students who are admitted into the program starting in the Spring/Summer of 2015 will be required to complete field experience in EDT 685. Students who were admitted to the program prior to Spring/Summer 2015 are NOT required to complete EDT 685. Graduate students currently employed by K-12 institutions, or planning to be employed by K-12 institutions, are required to complete a field experience (EDT 685) as part of their M.Ed. degree in educational technology. All other students are not required to complete a field experience, but instead may enroll in a 3-credit elective course. Students must submit an application for field experience (available online) the term before they plan to complete their field experience.


QWhat are my options for a Capstone?

A: The GVSU College of Education offers students two (2) options for completing their M.Ed. capstone experience: a development project (EDT 693) or a research/thesis (EDT 695).

  • EDT 693 Project - A project involves curriculum or program development, and applies theory to practice. For a project, students create, implement (in EDT 685) and evaluate a product of personal interest that is used in a professional capacity.
  • EDT 695 Thesis - A thesis is a traditional research capstone where a candidate for an advanced degree gathers data, analyses that data, and presents the results along with their interpretations. During a thesis, students implement and evaluate a research study, analyze data to answer a research question or test a hypothesis of in an area of interest.

Students may choose either option and there are different requirements depending on your choice. Information on the COE Website provides help when choosing a thesis or project, as does course work completed in EDT 621: Topics in Educational Technology. Students who choose to complete a project (EDT 693) must submit an application (available online) the term before they plan to complete their project. There are deadlines for applications for each term.

Students who choose to complete a thesis (EDT 695) must declare their choice between 30-60% of completion of their course work (after completing 12-18 credits, during EDT 621), must identify a thesis advisor, form a thesis committee, and register for EDT 695. Those students who select a thesis but are unable to finish it in one term may enroll in EDT 696 in subsequent terms. Other university requirements for completion of a thesis (EDT 695) can be found online. Students who are considering a thesis (EDT 695) are encouraged to talk with their advisor after completion of 18-credits so they can designate their plans as required by GVSU.


Q: Am I required to purchase LiveText? If so, where I can find information about doing so?

A: Graduate students who are currently employed by K-12 institutions, or plan to work in a K-12 institution in the future, are required to purchase LiveText. This product is used by the College of Education for ongoing accreditation. Students not employed or not planning to be employed in a K-12 setting are exempt from this requirement. Information on LiveText can be found on the COE LiveText website, including a Student User Guide PDF Handbook. 


Q: I just found out that I am required to complete the Responsible Conduct of Research online training. Can you explain this requirement?

A: The GVSU Graduate School adopted the RCR training to ensure that all graduate students at GVSU meet federal requirements regarding research. College of Education graduate students must complete “Epigeum RCR Training and Certification program - Social and Behavioral Sciences Module” prior to completion of 50% of the graduate program or prior to engaging in any research activity (including enrollment in the capstone project (EDT 693) or thesis (EDT 695)). Certification expires after 3 years and must be current while engaging in any research activity. More information about RCR is available on the COE RCR website.