Master of Education (M.Ed.) in Educational Technology
Grand Valley State University's Master of Education (M.Ed.) in Educational Technology prepares educators at all levels to integrate technology into teaching and learning, coordinate technology, manage technological resources, work in local or regional media centers, or explore the benefits of technology for instruction. The program prepares teachers and leaders to enhance the potential of their students and to evaluate the social and ethical implications of educational policies and practices.
Educational Technology Integration program prepares educators at all levels to integrate technology into classroom settings. Program content includes the educational application of technology, including computers and the Internet, for a variety of professional and instructional purposes. Courses concentrate on theory and research in educational technology, pedagogical issues and curriculum integration, software and website evaluation, acquisition and use of instructional materials and media, social and ethical issues for technology use in K-12 settings, school and classroom adoption of technology, and web-based and online instructional development.
Grand Valley State University's College of Education is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE). The M.Ed. degree in educational technology (EDT) is aligned with the International Society for Technology in Education Standards for Coaches (ISTE*C) and received national recognition from ISTE in 2016.
Why study Educational Technology at Grand Valley?
- State-of-the-art learning from an institution accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
- Program is nationally recognized by the International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE).
- The Online Master of Education (M.Ed.) in Educational Technology has been selected as one of the Best Online Graduate Education Programs by U.S. News & World Report and Best Colleges.com.
- Collaborate with faculty members, outside experts, mentors, and like-minded colleagues, using the most advanced tools information, tools, and instructional materials.
- Faculty members are experts in their field of study and remain flexible, available, and supportive of students.
- Fully Online: For those living outside of Kent, Ottawa and Muskegon counties; offered as a fully online program. The Online Master of Education (M.Ed.) in Educational Technology has been selected as one of the Best Online Graduate Education Programs by U.S. News & World Report and Best Colleges.com. It is the first fully online program at Grand Valley State University.
- Hybrid: Available to everyone; offered as a combination of both online and face-to-face classroom activities.
- Graduate Certificate In Online/Blended Instruction: Available to everyone.
Students who complete the program should be able to:
- use technology in their teaching and professional life,
- collaborate with others,
- select appropriate technology-based resources for instructional purposes,
- use technology for their own professional development,
- act as instructional leaders in their educational settings,
- understand the social, ethical, and human issues in the area of educational technology.
The College of Education offers graduate level courses online as part of the Educational Technology program. The courses are offered online using BlackBoard, a web-based learning environment, and are available for registration. The following reflects a planned schedule for online offerings.
M.Ed. in Education Technology program is a minimum of 33 credits.
Note: All students must take a self-assessment BEFORE registering for any courses that lead towards a M.Ed. in Educational Technology with an emphasis in Educational Technology Integration. The technology self-assessment is designed too ensure that students who take graduate educational technology emphasis area courses have the knowledge and skill required to be successful in these classes.
See PDF link below for the Planned Program and the College of Education Course List page for full course descriptions.
To view the PDF Planned Program sheet, you will need to use Adobe Reader (using Adobe Reader prevents tab order errors and other inconveniences present in browser-based PDF readers).
Graduate Certificate requirements.
The $30 application fee is waived if the applicant has previously applied to Grand Valley State University.
Graduate Application Dates
*NOTE: Early application is strongly encouraged. Applicants will be admitted on the basis of program approval. When all application materials have been received, Admissions will forward the complete portfolio for consideration to the College of Education – Student Information and Services Center. Once an application is complete, candidates should allow 4-6 weeks for written notification of their admission status.
- May 15 — Fall Semester Application Intake
- September 15 — Winter Semester Application Intake
- February 15 — Spring/Summer Semester Application Intake
For more information on tuition and fees, please visit the costs portion of the GVSU Financial Aid website. For financial support, scholarship search, and filing for FAFSA, please visit the GVSU Financial Support website.
Note: Grand Valley does not charge a higher tuition rate based on residency. Tuition is based on the program in which you chose to enroll. Students who are accepted into the online Educational Technology program will pay the same tuition rate regardless of the state or country where they reside.