Admissions for Computer Information Systems, M.S.
View this link for information specific to International Students.
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution of higher education
- Submission of all required admission materials, including:
- Completed graduate application for admission
- $30 nonrefundable application fee (unless you have previously applied to Grand Valley)
- Official copies of transcripts from all institutions of higher education previously attended. Transcripts must be sent from those institutions directly to the GVSU Admissions Office. NOTE: We do not require official transcripts from Grand Valley
- Test scores from the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language), or IELTS (International English Language Testing System), or MELAB (Michigan English Language Assessment Battery), or successful completion of the ELS 112 course for applicants whose native language is not English. Only original score reports will be accepted.
Requirements for consideration of admission into the program are as follows:
- All international students must have a satisfactory score on their GRE Test; U.S. students with a GPA below 3.0 from all of their undergraduate coursework must contact the School of Computing & Information Systems for advising.
- Candidates must possess knowledge of a programming language.
- Candidates are expected to possess knowledge in the following areas. Candidates lacking coursework or work experience in one or more of these may be considered for conditional admission. Please speak with the Graduate Program Director for advising.
- Computer architecture and/or organization
- Data structures and algorithms
- Discrete math
- Operating systems
- Software engineering
- Submit acceptable recommendations from at least two individuals attesting to the likelihood of the candidate’s successful completion of the program.
- Submit a resume detailing work experiences and accomplishments.
- Submit a personal statement of career goals and background experiences, including an explanation of how this program will help achieve educational and professional objectives.
Program Start and Admission Deadlines
Domestic students may enter the CIS program at the beginning of either the Fall or Winter semesters of the academic year (late August and early January). However, you should pay careful attention to the course offering schedule to determine when specific courses are offered.
You should have your application materials into GVSU 30 days before the beginning of the semester in which you want to begin.
For international students please see our International Students page.
Find helpful information about application requirements and deadlines specific to international student applicants.