Scheduling Information, Biotechnology
Helpful Scheduling Tips
- Graduation requirements: minimum of 35 credits (includes 4 credits of electives); minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
- Average number of credits/semester for full-time status: 9
- The italics in the table below indicate the recommended semester to ensure proper preparation for later courses.
- The Scientific Communications & Lab Techniques courses are very strongly recommended & are expected for Graduate Assistantship eligibility. If you have a significant amount of prior lab experience, talk with your advisor before registering.
- Beginning F13, all courses but the lab courses & Sci Comm, will be held at the Eberhard Center on the Pew Campus.
- Beginning F13, students who have completed all coursework, but have not yet graduated, must register for 1 credit of CMB 696 each semester for continuous registration.
- Request a graduation audit during your second to the last semester.
- Be sure consult your advisor so your particular background can be taken into account in order to assure your success.
Offered Fall Only
CMB 505 Advanced Cell Biology (M 6-8:50, 710 EC)
CMB 501 Scientific Communication (W 9-12:50, 1173 KHS)
CMB 551 Bioinformatics (T 6-8:50, DeVos or EC))
CMB 680-04 Lab Techniques (M 11-2:50, 3302 KHS)
STA 622 Statistical Methods for Biologists ( must be confirmed: 2 sections: 1) T 6-8:50 617 EC & 2) Th 6-8:50 617 EC)
Offered Winter Only
CMB 506 Advanced Molecular Biology (W 6-8:50, 710 EC)
CMB 620 Tissue Culture Lab (2 cr; Th 6-9:50, 543 CHS)
CMB 626 Advanced Nucleic Acids Laboratory (MW 9:00-11:50, 543 CHS)
CMB 552 Advanced Computational Biology (M 6-8:50, 617 EC)
CMB 697 Colloquium (Capstone) take during final Winter semester (2 cr; T 6-8:50, 716 EC)
Offered Multiple Semesters
CMB 610 Foundations in Biotechnology - Fall (Th 6-8:50, 710 EC) & Winter (M 6-8:50, 710 EC)
PSM 650 Ethics & Professionalism Fall (M 6-8:50, 410 EC), Winter (online), Summer (MW 6-8:50, 716 EC)
PSM 662 Seminar (2 cr) - Fall (5-5:50 MW, 710 EC) & Spring (T/Th 6-8:50, 716 EC)
PSM 691 Internship (minimum 4 cr) anytime when ready
CIS 661 Introduction to Medical & Bioinformatics Fall & Winter
STA 610 Applied Statistics for Health Professions Fall, Winter, Spring/Summer may substitute for STA 622
CMB 501 Sci Comm 3 W 9-12:50, 1173 KHS
CMB 680-04 Lab Techniques 3 M 11-2:50, 3302 KHS
CMB 551 Bioinformatics 3 T 6-8:50, DEV or EC
CMB 505, CMB 610, PSM 650, STA 610 or 622, CIS 661
(Total: 9 Credits)
Winter Year 1
CMB 506 Advanced Molecular Biology 3 W 6-8:50, 710 EC
CIS 661 Intro to Medical & Bioinformatics 3 T 6-8:50, EC
CMB 652, STA 610, PSM 650, PSM 691
(Total: 8 Credits)
PSM 662 Seminar 2 T/Th 6-8:50, 716 EC
PSM 691 4 PSM 650, STA 610
(Total: 2-6 Credits)
CMB 610 Foundations in Biotechnology 3 Th 6-8:50, 710 EC
CMB 505 Advanced Cell Biology 3 M 6-8:50, 710 EC
STA 610 OR 622 3 CMB 551, PSM 650, PSM 662, PSM 691, CIS 661
CMB 626 Advanced Nucleic Acids Lab* 3 MW 9-11:50, 543 CHS
CMB 697 Colloquium (Capstone) 2 T 6-8:50, 716 EC
PSM 650 Ethics & Professionalism 3 online
CMB 552, CMB 610, STA 610, CIS 661, PSM 691
(Total: 8 Credits)
(*Do not take > 9-10 credits with CMB 626)
CMB 691 Internship if necessary 4
Specific Course Information
1) STA 610 can substitute for STA 622. Certain STA 610 sections are being developed for PSM students, but the specifics are not available yet. Unless you are experienced with statistics, we do not recommend taking Statistics in your first semester at GVSU.
2) CMB 626 Nucleic Acids Laboratory is offered in the Winter semester only - this is a change from previous years. This is an intensive course & you want to be sure you have the preparation. IF you do not have a good amount of laboratory experience before beginning the PSM program, we advise you to wait until your second year to take CMB 626. This course sometimes fills quickly, so do not delay in registering for this class. If you cannot register because the course is full, please keep in close contact with the listed instructor so we can get you in as student schedules shuffle.
3) If, with good reason (typically a conflict with your internship), you need to take CMB 626 in the Fall semester, you will register for the Fall BIO/CMB 426 class which is offered on the Allendale campus. (This is a relatively rare situation.)
Please contact the instructor. Since this section is listed as an undergraduate class, you must also fill out & submit a Dual Credit form before the end of the first week of that semester.
3) Take no more than 9-10 credits during the CMB 626 Advanced Nucleic Acids Lab semester.
4) The PSM 662 Seminar course requires you to have taken some courses in your discipline beforehand, so do not take this course your first semester.
All courses are 3 credits except as noted.
Be sure to confirm the time & location of courses on Banner.
- CMB Biotech MS Total Credits Required 35
- Required Courses 31 (CMB 505 Advanced Cell Biology 3 CMB 506 Advanced Molecular Biology 3 CMB 610 Foundations of Biotechnology 3 CMB 620 Cell and Tissue Culture Lab 2 CMB 626 Advanced Nucleic Acids Laboratory 3 CMB 697 Colloquium in Biotechnology 2 CIS 661 Medical & Bioinformatics 3 STA 622 Stats Methods for Biologists* 3 PSM 650 Ethics and Professionalism 3 PSM 662 PSM Seminar 2 PSM 691 Internship 4)
- Elective Credits 4
* STA 610 Statistics for Health Professions 3 (Allowed Substitution for STA 622)