April 22, 2019
Campus Drive to close for construction
The main road through the Allendale Campus (North and South Campus Drive) will be closed from May 6-August 9 due to construction. Crews will be making improvements to prepare for The Rapid's new Laker Line that will eventually replace Route 50.
Road closures include North Campus Drive between Ravine Center and Calder Drive and West Campus Drive between the Meadows parking lot and North Campus Drive.
North and South Campus Drive will be open only for delivery and services vehicles from Calder Drive to the Commons loading dock driveway.
- Entrance from north academic and athletic areas: Enter campus from Lake Michigan Drive and turn right onto West Ravine Center Drive. Turn left onto Laker Village Drive and enter Lots C, E, F, G, H, K and P on the left.
- Entrance from north to North Housing and Lot D: Enter from Lake Michigan Drive and turn left on East Ravine Center Drive and enter Lot D on the right.
- Entrance from south and west to academic and athletic areas: Enter campus from Pierce Street or 42nd Avenue. Enter Lots P, K, H, G, F, E, C and D on the right.
- Entrance to the Meadows Golf Course and practice facility: Enter West Campus Drive from 48th Avenue.
To view a map outlining the detours, visit gvsu.edu/facilitiesplanning and click on "Road Detours."
Photo by Amanda Pitts
To accommodate construction of the Rapid's new Laker Line, North and South Campus Drive will be closed beginning May 6.
Four faculty earn Fulbright Scholar awards
Three Grand Valley faculty members have earned Fulbright Scholar awards from the U.S. Department of State to teach or conduct research overseas in the next academic year and one faculty member will return soon from a semester teaching in Austria.
They are Dianne Conrad, associate professor of nursing; Lara Jaskiewicz, associate professor of public, nonprofit and health administration; and Rachel Powers, professor of chemistry. Robert Adams, professor of computing and information systems, is teaching in Graz, Austria, for the winter semester.
Details of each person's teaching or research assignment is below.
- Conrad will spend the fall 2019 semester in Dublin, Ireland, at Dublin City University, where she and a colleague from the University of Detroit Mercy (who will follow in spring 2020) will assess the country's regional health care delivery system and its status of advanced practice nursing roles. Conrad said she hopes to develop a sustainable partnership among Grand Valley and the two other institutions.
- Powers will spend part of the winter 2020 semester in Argentina at the Universidad de Buenos Aires to advance her current research on antibiotic resistant bacteria. Powers will also develop and teach a course on the structural aspects of antibiotic resistance using molecular graphics programs to analyze structures of proteins that play a role in resistance.
- Jaskiewicz will spend the next academic year at Vilnius University in Lithuania, serving as a guest lecturer and providing consultations for graduate students who are conducting qualitative research. Jaskiewicz's research project focuses on exploring barriers that limit the growth of health and wellness nonprofit organizations, which she said might contribute to the high rates of alcoholism and suicide within the country.
- Adams has been teaching in Austria at Fachhochschule Joanneum, the country's second largest university of applied sciences. Adams said the experience has been life-changing and he will take away new ideas for research and teaching. Grand Valley has consistently been named a regional top producer of Fulbright Scholar and Fulbright Student awards.
Outstanding Faculty, Staff Members
Students in the Oliver Wilson Freshman Academy nominated Williamson Wallace, criminal justice faculty member and director of Grand Valley's Police Academy as Outstanding Faculty Member of the Year. Wallace, at right, is pictured with (at left) student Chase Brown and Gabe Peña, student success coach.
Mike Messner, director for Student Success Programs, was named Outstanding Staff Member of the Year. The Freshman Academy held its annual celebration April 16 in the Alumni House