Student Employee FAQ

Question Answer

What do I do if I have a financial hardship as a result of classes being cancelled, having to move off-campus, or any other issues concerning COVID-19?

Please contact the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships with any financial hardship concerns at

How should student employee hours be reported in Ultratime?

Student employees may only report the hours actually worked in Ultratime.  Supervisors may only approve Ultratime hours for hours actually worked.

How do the changes as a result of COVID-19 effect my on-campus student employment job?

You should contact your supervisor to discuss how your job may be impacted.

How can I get my paper pay check?

Effective immediately Payroll will no longer be handing out paper paychecks on campus.  This is for the protection of all staff, faculty, student employees and our campus community.  For those of you who have paychecks from past pay periods we will be mailing them to your permanent address on record on Monday 3/23 and Tuesday 3/24.  

For all future pay days we will be mailing out the paper paychecks the day before payday.

Can I report hours in Ultratime even if I am not working?

No. Only hours actually worked may be reported in Ultratime.

As an on-campus student employee, do I qualify for unemployment benefits?

Typically, students who work for the University are not eligible for unemployment benefits in Michigan. However, we believe that student employees may be eligible for the federally funded $600 weekly benefit under the CARES Act that expires July 31, 2020. Because unemployment is only available from the date of application, student employees are encouraged to pursue this possible unemployment opportunity right away.

If you would like to apply for these benefits, please visit the Michigan Federal Cares Act page. Follow the steps to create an account and submit your application. Those with last names A-L can file Monday, Wednesday, and Friday; last names M-Z file Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday. If you missed your day, file Saturday.

The type of unemployment you will seek is called Federal Pandemic Unemployment Compensation (FPUC). Again, you are only eligible for benefits from the date of application, so apply now. We are not certain that you will be approved, but have a good faith belief that you may be eligible, so it might be worth the effort.

For more information concerning the unemployment filing schedule, please go to the Michigan Department of Labor and Economic Opportunity page.

A detailed handbook regarding this application can be found here.

As a student employee, can I work more than my normally scheduled hours?

You will have to discuss your work schedule with your supervisor. However, the policy that students can work a maximum of 25 hours/week (20 hours/week for international students) remains in effect.

Student Employee Supervisor FAQ

Question Answer

What is the status of Student Employee Appreciation Week?

Student Employee Appreciation Week has been cancelled due to COVID-19 health crisis. Please visit the GVSU Student Jobs page for more details. While we won’t be able to celebrate our student employees in person, we are asking that you still find ways to thank your students and continue to support them during this time.

What if I have a student employee who doesn't want to/cannot work, but are concerned that not working will cause a financial hardship?

Encourage them to reach out to us!  We can work with them to discuss their options.

Is remote work available for student employees?

You may consider remote work for students, alternative schedules, or other means to continue to get work done, while being mindful of safety (as you are doing for other staff).

How should I handle my Graduate Assistant's hours/work?

As a Graduate Assistant supervisor, you were sent an email on Thursday, March 12 by the Graduate School.  Please refer to this email for specific information on Graduate Assistant schedules, remote work, and making up hours.  Please reach out to Irene Fountain if you have additional questions.

How do the changes as a result of COVID-19 effect my on-campus student employee?

If you have students who can work and want to work, you can have them work per the normal student employment guidelines.  If you have more specific questions, you should contact your appointing officer.

Can I approve hours in Ultratime for my student employee, even if they did not work during those hours?

No. Only hours actually worked should be reported in Ultratime.

Financial Aid & Scholarships FAQ

Question Answer

When will my housing refund be processed?

For detailed information, visit the Housing Move Out Information page.

Housing and meal plan credits for the remote learning period running from March 16 to the end of the winter semester were sent to Student Accounts during the week of March 23. Housing credits for the remainder of the semester are calculated based on the daily rate for a resident's living assignment. Credits are calculated based on unused winter semester meals and unused winter semester and fall semester rollover dining dollars.  Watch your email for detailed information about this process.

Normal refund procedures apply (check or direct deposit) for prorated housing, dining, or parking credits that result in an overpayment to the university. In some cases, credits will pay toward or pay-off an outstanding balance due to the university.

What options do I have for my federal student loans that are currently in repayment with a federal student loan servicer (i.e. Nelnet, Great lakes, etc.)?

Your federal student loan servicer should be reaching out to you, to inform you of the administrative forbearance option.  This will allow you to temporarily suspend your monthly payments.  The administrative forbearance will last from March 13, 2020, through September 30, 2020.

What do I do if I have been selected to submit identification documents and a Statement of Educational Purpose for financial aid verification?

    As a result of COVID-19, we were given flexibility on the following items:

    1. The form “Identify Verification & Statement of Educational Purpose” is no longer required to be notarized
    2. Students no longer need to appear in-person to show a government-issued ID
    3. When a student submits a copy of a government-issued ID, it is okay if it expired after March 1, 2020

    What do I do if I have a financial hardship as a result of the classes being cancelled, having to move off-campus, or any other issues concerning COVID-19?

    We would encourage you to complete a financial hardship grant request form.

    What do I do if I have a financial hardship and I have borrowed a private student loan that is currently in repayment?

    We encourage you to contact the private student loan lender you make payments to directly.  Many lenders (banks, credit unions, and private lenders) are offering additional assistance due to COVID-19 at this time.  Check their individual websites for more information.

    Is there any change to the deadline for the incoming merit-based scholarships for freshman and transfer students?

    For new students entering GVSU for the 2020/21 academic year, the Admissions Office has extended the deadline for accepting documents from students that were admitted by December 31, 2019.  Any first time student admitted by December 31, 2019 may send updated documents to the Admissions Office until August 28, 2020 for scholarship consideration. 

    Transfer students admitted by March 1, 2020 may send updated documents to the Admissions Office until August 28, 2020 for scholarship consideration.


    Is the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships still open at this time?

    The Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships, including Student Employment, is open Monday-Friday 8am-5pm.  We are currently restricting walk-in traffic. If you have any questions, please call (616-331-3234) or email (  We are sorry for the inconvenience. 

    I don't have/can't afford internet access or access to a computer.  What options do I have while my classes are moved online?

    Comcast is offering their 'Internet Essentials' package free for low-income customers for 60 days. 

    If you feel that you will be unable to be successful in online coursework due to a financial hardship, please contact us at

    I am a Thompson Working Family Scholar and am unable to complete my service hours, as a result of closures, interruptions, etc. due to COVID-19.  What should I do?

    We have waived the service hour requirement for the 2019-2020 academic year.  Please visit the following link for more information.

    How is federal student loan interest being calculated at this time?

    From March 13, 2020, through Sept. 30, 2020, the interest rate is 0% on the following types of federal student loans owned by ED:

    • Defaulted and nondefaulted Direct Loans
    • Defaulted and nondefaulted FFEL Program loans
    • Federal Perkins Loans

    Please note that some FFEL Program loans are owned by commercial lenders, and some Perkins Loans are owned by the institution you attended. These loans are not eligible for this benefit at this time.

    How is COVID-19 impacting my study abroad and financial aid?

    If you have specific questions about your study abroad financial aid, please contact us. Visit Study Abroad for genera; information updates.

    Can I only receive financial hardship assistance if I am an on-campus student employee?

    No. Any student with a financial hardship should complete a hardship grant request form.