What are Fellowships?
Nationally competitive scholarships and fellowships are highly selective funding opportunities for bright and talented students to pursue study, research, public or foreign service, and more, at both the undergraduate and graduate level in the U.S. and abroad. They fund exceptional learning experiences as a means of attaining larger educational and career goals. Students who receive these awards are recognized for their previous track records of stellar academic performance, outstanding leadership, service (campus, local, state, national, and international levels), and involvement, research, foreign language acquisition, and more. Importantly, they are often springboards to even greater opportunities!
- have big dreams for your future?
- desire to make a profound difference in this world through your talents, strengths, passions, and interests?
- want to lead a life of extraordinary consequence?
If so, explore the opportunities in our office to learn more.
If you instead are looking for immediate funding, we encourage you to contact the GVSU Financial Aid Office to discuss your circumstances and/or peruse the following websites:
Reasons to Apply
There are many reasons to apply for the opportunities within our office. Students who applied for nationally competitive awards but did not receive them, have nevertheless articulated numerous benefits to submitting an application:
- Learn how to submit a nationally competitive award application
- Prepare for the graduate school application processes
- Develop parallel plans or new future options
- Define career and educational goals
- Discover one's purpose and realize one's potential
- Dream bigger and reach new heights
- Build confidence and personal motivation
- Apply for more nationally competitive awards
- Pursue greater opportunities once never thought possible
- Discover strengths and skills within yourself
- Practice writing personal statements
- Build relationships with faculty
- Learn how to ask for letters of recommendation
- Develop stronger writing skills and enhance your writing style
- Connect with other students applying for similar awards
How We Can Help You
The staff in the Frederik Meijer Office of Fellowships will help any and all students as they navigate through different paths and look into the opportunities that fit your specific needs and goals.
These 3 words guide our practice: Scholarship. Achievement. Opportunity.
- We will help you determine your scholastic goals and guide you toward the path that's best for you, be it teaching, service, business, or something else entirely.
- We will help you achieve new heights you may not have thought possible by encouraging you to step outside your comfort zone and look beyond campus life.
- We will help you discover, apply for, and hopefully embark on new opportunities both domestically and abroad to expand your knowledge and further your scholastic achievement.
Would if I am unsure of my next steps in my degree plan or life after graduation?
No problem! We can support you on multiple paths. Thinking about changing majors or applying for jobs or graduate school? We'll help you navigate the process of exploring award opportunities within our office while also keeping your plans in mind.
Maybe taking a year after graduation to teach English abroad is your goal? Maybe you would like to learn a critical language over the summer or do research abroad? Maybe you would like to do all of these things, and still stay on track with other goals. No worries! We can explore all of your goals and create an action plan to help you achieve success.
When should I begin exploring awards?
Many scholarship or fellowship applications are due 6-18 months before your program begins. Therefore, we recommend planning ahead and contacting our office as soon as you are ready to begin discussing your options... the earlier, the better!