Summer Grill Challenge
June 7, 2017, 11:30am-1pm, Allendale - Parking Lot G
Thank you to our grill masters Andy Beachnau - Associate Vice Provost & Director of Housing and Health Services, Public Safety and Facilities Services for firing up the competition in our annual opening day grill challenge to compete for the best summer recipe.
Congratulations to Facilities Services for submitting the winning recipe!
Head Country BBQ Sauce Glazed Scott’s Meats Chicken Thighs with Garlic Butter Stuffed Red Potatoes, & Italian Grilled Asparagus with Parmesan Cheese.
Detailed recipes listed below.
2017 Winning Recipe
Grilled Boneless/skinless chicken thighs with Head Country BBQ sauce, redskin baked potatoes and grilled asparagus with Italian dressing and parmesan cheese
Submitted by Facilities Services
On Preheated, 450F Grill; grill & baste chicken thigh pieces to internal temperature of 165F using head country bbq sauce. Fill each red potato with butter and garlic clove, spread out potatoes in a single layer on a baking sheet; season with salt and pepper Roast, stirring once halfway through cooking, until potatoes are golden brown and crisp outside and tender inside, about 30 minutes uncovered in preheated 350F Convection oven. Roast Asparagus uncovered till in preheated 350F convection oven until tender, 12-15 minutes. Place chicken on plate with, roasted potatoes, asparagus, garnish asparagus with Italian dressing and shredded parmesan.
Chicken drumsticks and thighs with corn relish
Submitted by Public Safety
Memphis style BBQ Sauce
- 1 c Ketchup
- 2/3c Brown Sugar
- 1 can Beer
- 1/3c Maple Syrup or Molasses
- 6oz Tomato Paste
- 3 tbs Mustard
- 3 tbs Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tbs Sea Salt
- 1 tbs Dry Mustard
- 1 tbs Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tbs Garlic Powder
- 1 tbs Onion Powder
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne
- Add all ingredients to a pot, one at a time, with burner low/simmer.
- Start with ketchup, then add the beer to thin.
- Add all dry ingredients -.
- Mix using a whisk.
- Once all ingredients are added, turn burner up to high and bring to a boil.
- Turn off and let sit until cool.
- Store in fridge.
Black Bean and Corn Salad
2 cans black beans
1 can garbanzo beans
1 ½ cups frozen small kernel corn
1 red bell pepper chopped
1 green pepper chopped
½ cup fresh cilantro chopped
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl
½ cup olive oil
¼ cup lime juice
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 clove minced garlic
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon of salt
Combine these ingredients and whisk well. Pour into salad and stir to coat.
Recipe Assembly: Parboil drumsticks and thighs. Cover chicken with BBQ, Sauce, Grill chicken on preheated 450F Grill, and baste with sauce while grilling, heat chicken to internal temperature of 165F. Top chicken with black bean corn salad.
2016 Winning Recipe
Spinach and Barley Salad with Grilled Pork
The 2016 opening day Summer Grill Challenge with President T. Haas & Marcia Haas, Andy Beachnau-Associate Vice Provost & Director of Housing and Health Services, Facilities Services and GVPD was a big success! The grill and competition was hot as contestants vied for the best summer recipe. Market goers sampled a taste of each recipe and voted for their favorite.
152 lunches were sold raising $912 in donations divided among the Children’s Enrichment Center and GVSU Student Food Pantry. This was possible due to the support of Campus Dining and Doug Wentworth in Auxiliary Services. Thank you for your generous contributions for this event.
BBQ roast recipe
Trim fat from one 3lb chuck roast.
Marinate 2-3 hours at room temperature or refrigerate overnight
-1/3 C wine vinegar
-1/4 C catsup
- 2 T soy sauce
-1 tsp prep. mustard
-1/4 tsp garlic powder
-1/4 tsp pepper
Broil 6-8 inches from heat until med. rare, 50-60 minutes. Baste with reserved marinade the last 15-20 minutes. Slice thin.
Grilled pizza with chicken and goat cheese recipe
Dough Ball- 1 ea
Corn Meal- 1-2 tbsp
Olive Oil- 2 tbsp
Balsamic Reduction- 2 tbsp
Goat Cheese- 2-3 oz
Cooked Chicken- 2 oz
Basil- 3-4 leaves, chiffonade(ribbon cut)
Roma Tomato- 1 ea
Salt - tt
- Heat grill, really hot, about 500 degrees
- Let dough sit a room temp for at least 30 minutes, stretch, dock(use fork to poke holes) to an amoeba-oval shape. Let rest and assemble other ingredients
- Cook chicken or buy rotisserie chicken, pull off the bone into bit size pieces
- Slice Roma tomatoes about 1/8 inch thick
- Balsamic, buy reduction or take 1 cup balsamic vinegar and reduce by 3/4 over medium heat on stove top. Looking for syrup consistency when cool.
- Take basil leaves, stack on each other, roll them so they look like a cone or cigar shape. Take your chef knife and slice 1/8 inch thick. Should resemble ribbons. Google if needed.
- Goat cheese comes in many forms. Look for cream cheese consistency style. Very simple you’ll just use your hands to pull some off to evenly plop some on your pizza in small amounts. The size of a nickel.
- To assemble.
- Brush both sides of pizza with oil. Place dough on grill and cook one side for about 2-3 minutes. Lid closed
- Dust work surface with corn meal
- Remove dough from grill and place raw side on corn meal
- Dress Pizza
- Drizzle balsamic
- Add chicken, goat cheese, tomato, salt and pepper
- Return to grill and cook for 3-5 more minutes- cheese melted, chicken warm to touch
- Let rest on cutting board for about 2 minutes
- Add basil
- If it looks dry to you, drizzle more balsamic and olive oil.
- Cut and serve
Tips: Test at home
Try different doughs
Clean grill surface is key
Once the dough hits the grill do not move, until it forms a crust
Well-seasoned grill(oiled surface)
Grill must be hot