Visit www.gvsu.edu/coronavirus for more.
New Faculty Orientation (Day 1)
Date and TimeWednesday, August 7, 2019
8:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
- Kirkhof Center » RM 2204 - Pere Marquette
For new tenure, tenure-track, affiliate, and visiting faculty.
Orientation will provide you with a robust overview of what it means to be a part of the GVSU community. The sessions not only equip you with information that will support your success at GVSU but are also designed with built–in opportunities for you to meet and engage with GVSU leadership and fellow faculty. Best practices in teaching will be modeled; you will have a bit of homework in advance of each day so that we may engage in collaborative activities during our time together and prepare you to effectively engage your Fall Semester students. The intent is that you will leave Orientation armed with tools, resources, new relationships and supports, and with a better sense of our Laker Community.
New Faculty Orientation has been designed to:
- Highlight critical information about the university, guiding new faculty to construct for themselves a greater understanding of (a) the mission, vision, and values of Grand Valley State University, (b) what is meant by student success, and (c) the hallmarks of a successful new faculty experience
- Model learner-centered teaching strategies (including interactive discussions, experiential learning, case studies, special topic choices)
- Foster a sense of community and build relationships among new faculty
- Motivate new faculty to see themselves contributing to a supportive, collaborative campus community