MIPERC / Grand Rapids Children's Museum Diagnosis FUN! 2019
Date and TimeThursday, May 16, 2019
9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
- L. William Seidman Center
When: Thursday, May 16, 2019
Time: 9:00 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Where: Grand Rapids Children’s Museum
Target Population: Children grades 1st through 4th from Grand Rapids Public Schools, Wyoming Public Schools, area private and charter schools
Purpose: To create a community-based health education experience for local elementary age students through engagement in an interprofessional service learning experience with graduate and undergraduate students in health-related academic programs
- Engage in a Service Learning Event that provides university students in health profession programs from across educational institutions to work in interprofessional teams the opportunity to explore and collaborate various professions as they relate to a given topic
- Incorporate the themes of team dynamics, health literacy and social determinants of health within the context of the event
- Create an Interprofessional Health Education session for elementary age students using Michigan’s Health Education Content Standards
- Implement the Interprofessional Health Education session through an interactive experience about a given topic
The event will be held at the Grand Rapids Children’s Museum, which will host up to 400 students on field trips. Elementary teachers will be provided with field trip objectives and how they relate to age-appropriate career exploration and health education standards. Teachers will also be provided with a summary document to follow-up in class in order to solidify learning.
Student participants will be surveyed before and after the event to measure interprofessional education competencies. The IPE student teams will work throughout Fall 2018 and Winter 2019 semesters to research and create age-appropriate, health education, interactive stations for the children around the themes of career exploration and health education.
Brenda Pawl at email@example.com