For the health and safety of the Grand Valley community, remote academic instruction will continue through June 17. The Admissions office is available to answer calls Mon.-Fri. from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at 616-331-2025 or 1-800-748-0246 or email email@example.com. Additional instructions and updates at www.gvsu.edu/coronavirus
Michigan Ice Fest Trip - Ice Climbing in Munising, MI
Date and TimeFriday, February 14, 2020
- Munising, MI
Join the Outdoor Adventures program & HTM Dept. February 14 - 16 as we venture to Munising, MI for the annual Michigan Ice Festival! Participants will have the opportunity to climb world-class ice on the frozen waterfalls of the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. The festival is hosted by Downwind Sports, an U.P. gear shop who caters the event to climbers of all abilities (including those with no previous ice climbing experience). The festival will include: 1 1/2 days of ice climbing, the biggest gear raffle you've ever seen, presentations by world renowned mountaineers, & plenty of social time for swapping stories.
Equipment: Technical Ice climbing gear will be provided by the GVSU Climbing Center.
Transportation: Participants are responsible for getting to and from Munising. Outdoor Adventures will help you arrange a shared ride upon request.
Most of the costs will be pay-as-you-go but we need to collect a small non-refundable deposit of $50 to help cover the costs of lodging. Participants will be fitted for rental equipment (boots, crampons, & ice tools). Participants should expect the entire weekend to cost about $150. Some of the additional costs to consider include:
$50 - festival registration/ insurance (paid online at www.michiganicefest.com)
- variable - Food
- variable - Misc. Gear
- variable - shared gas & bridge toll expenses
- variable - Festival workshops (require pre-registration from the festival website)
Our efforts are geared towards giving GVSU students an experience they'll never forget. Registration is limited to current GVSU students.
There are two parts to our Registration process.
1) Register (RSVP) here in the event listing. The Deadline to register with GVSU is Friday, February 7th
2) Register at michiganicefest.com (they will collect the $50 entry fee)* Registration for Ice Fest closes Wednesday Feb. 5
*Please note that many of the Ice Fest workshops begin prior to our group's arrival in Munising. Participants who register for these workshops will be responsible for their own transportation & lodging prior to Friday. On-site registration for the festival is available but raises to $60.
Visit www.michiganicefest.com for more festival details.
Mandatory Pre-Trip Meeting: Monday, February 10, 6pm in the Climbing Center
Intro to Ice Climbing Workshop: Wed. January 22, 5pm - 7pm in FH Room ???(tbd)
Recreation & Wellness Assistant Director
- Campus Life » Sustainability
- Division of Student Affairs » Housing and Residence Life
- Division of Student Affairs » Office of Student Life » Fraternity and Sorority Life
- Division of Student Affairs » Recreation & Wellness
- Division of Student Affairs » University Counseling Center
- Foundations and Skills for Lifelong Learning