Global Desires and Tourist Encounters...
Date and TimeWednesday, April 11, 2012
3:30 PM - 5:00 PM
- 176 Lake Michigan Hall - Allendale Campus
'Global Desires and Tourist Encounters in Contemporary Cultural Production of the Hispanic Caribbean'
Presented by Professor Christopher McGrath
Through an analysis of television commercials, popular music and literary texts, Dr. Christopher A. McGrath explores how recent cultural production from the Hispanic Caribbean registers and responds to the local impact of tourism and sex tourism. Specifically, this presentation examines the dialectic of desire between local residents and foreign travelers that these texts portray as they link the region's current experience of globalization with colonial legacies established at the moment of the original transatlantic encounter.
For more information, or special accommodations, please contact the Area Studies office, firstname.lastname@example.org or 331-8110.
Zulema Moret email@example.com
- Academic » Academic Calendar
- Academic » Academic Department Events
- Academic » Academic Department Events » Brooks College of Interdisciplinary Studies
- Academic » Academic Department Events » CLAS - College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Campus Life » Padnos International Center
- Inclusion/Social Justice » Office of Multicultural Affairs
- Student Life
- Student Life » Cultural