20/21st Century Piano Festival
Date and TimeSaturday, October 28, 2017
9:00 AM - 4:00 PM
- Haas Center for Performing Arts » 1325 - Sherman Van Solkema Hall
Join us for Grand Valley State University’s 20th/21st-Century Piano Festival!
CLICK HERE for the registration form.
Saturday, October 28, 2017, Performing Arts Center, Sherman Van Solkema Recital Hall
- This Festival is a celebration of 20th/21st-century piano music with performances throughout the day (each recital: 50 minutes).
- Students play in a supportive venue where families, teachers, and friends are invited to be part of the audience.
- This year’s commissioned piece, Tiny Machines, will be premiered, and the composer, Dr. Bill Ryan, will be in residence to celebrate the occasion!
- The nationally recognized New Music Ensemble at GVSU will also be in residence! ("The members of Grand Valley State's ensemble play with a confident swing...To put it another way, these kids are a trip."--NEWSWEEK)
- Pre-college students are eligible to participate.
- Each student performs one piece from the 20th or 21st century.
- CLICK HERE for the registration form. No paper registration will be accepted. The registration fee is $12.00/student. Registration forms and fees are due by Friday, October 13, 2017.
- All registrations will be processed in the order received. The Festival board reserves the right to limit the number of participants in each category in order to fill each recital time and also not go over.
- Each participant will choose at least three options for the recital time at the time of registration. Each recital will be 50 minutes long.
- Repertoire changes are prohibited after students send in their registration forms.
- Click here for Recommended Repertoire List.
- Students should bring the music with measures numbered (no photocopies, please).
- All pieces must be memorized. An exception may be made in case of playing a work that uses experimental contemporary techniques.
- All teachers of participants will receive an evaluation of the student’s performance by GVSU faculty.
- Every participating student will receive a Certificate of Participation. Students who play in this festival for THREE years will be awarded a handsome trophy.
- Questions? Please contact Dr. Sookkyung Cho at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dr. Sookkyung Cho