The Robert L. Chamberlain Scholarship
The Robert L. Chamberlain Scholarship is a tuition scholarship for junior English majors demonstrating excellence in writing. (Amount varies on foundation earnings: estimated scholarship amount $1000).
- Students must be English majors
- Students must have junior status, with 55-84 credit hours completed
- Students must have at least a 3.0 GPA
- Students must be full time
- Financial need may be taken into consideration
Each student must submit a short letter explaining why he or she qualifies for this scholarship; two pieces of writing, at least one from a class. Student packets are due to the Student Scholarship Committee. The deadline is March. The Chamberlain Scholarship will be awarded at the English Department Awards Ceremony in April.
Gilbert R. and Patricia K. Davis Endowed Merit Scholarship
The Gilbert R. and Patricia K. Davis Endowed Merit Scholarship is a tuition scholarship for part- or full-time junior and senior English majors. (Amount varies on foundation earnings: estimated scholarship amount $1500.)
- Recipients should be accepted for or currently enrolled at GVSU
- Must be an undergraduate student
- Must be a resident of Michigan who have completed 30 credit hours earned at GVSU
- Must be a Junior or Senior English major.
- Must have a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or greater
- Must be enrolled either part-time or full-time, but priority is given to part-time students
Applications are due to the Student Scholarship Committee (210 LHH) by March. Applicants should also submit a one-page statement describing why they chose to major in English. The Davis Scholarship will be awarded at the English Department Awards Ceremony in April.
The English Faculty Scholarship for New Majors
The English Faculty Scholarship for New Majors is awarded to two English majors annually. Scholarship award sum varies.
- Declared English major at time of application
- Currently enrolled student with fewer than 60 credit hours completed (first or second-year student) during semester of application
- Cumulative 2.5 grade point average or better
- First-generation college student
- An unofficial GVSU transcript (available from myPath)
- An academic writing sample, minimum three full pages in length, submitted for a class during your freshman or sophomore year
- A brief essay of between 100-200 words (1-2 paragraphs) in length explaining why you are applying for the English Faculty Scholarship and should you receive the award, how it will assist you in achieving your academic goals
Application materials are due in March. They will be reviewed by the English Faculty Scholarship Committee, and finalists will be interviewed for the award by committee members. Scholarship winners will be notified in early April and honored at the English Awards Ceremony in April.
Dr. Andrew M.C. Brown Memorial English Scholarship
This scholarship was created to assist students majoring in English with Language and Literature emphasis with the cost of their education.
- Candidates should be accepted or currently enrolled at GVSU
- Must be a senior with a declared major in English with Language and Literature emphasis
- Student(s) must be enrolled for at least 12 credit hours with a cumulative GPA of 3.3 or higher
- Preference will be given to students intending to pursue an advanced English degree. Financial need may be considered, as evidenced by filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
Renewal Criteria: This scholarship is non-renewable. Award sum is $2,000. Deadline is March 1.