Respondus LockDown Browser and Monitor
ENHANCING ACADEMIC INTEGRITY AND ONLINE PROCTORING
Maintaining exam integrity and deterring cheating is an important part of online testing. In addition, verifying student identity is required for accreditation. With Respondus LockDown Browser and Monitor, students can take exams where and when it is most convenient for them, while empowering faculty to help ensure academic integrity and compliance with the student code of conduct.
Respondus is used by over 1,500 educational institutions worldwide, along with 10 colleges and universities in Michigan.
Over 80 million exams are delivered through LockDown Browser each year, and 10% of exams in higher education use Respondus Monitor which is the most widely-used solution for exam integrity.
LockDown Browser FAQs
Preparing an Exam for Use with LockDown Browser and Respondus Monitor
SETTING UP A TEST TO REQUIRE LOCKDOWN BROWSER
To set up a test in Blackboard that requires students to use LockDown Browser, follow these steps:
- Make sure the test has been deployed in the Blackboard course. (Force completion and passwords are not recommended.)
- From the Control Panel in Blackboard, locate the Course Tools section and select the link Respondus LockDown Browser.
- A list of deployed tests will be displayed. Tests labeled with “Required” require students to use LockDown Browser and Tests labeled with “Not Required” do not require LockDown Browser.
- To change the settings for the test, select Settings from the context menu to the left of the test title and select the desired option.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Once LockDown Browser has been enabled, do not modify the test name, settings to open test in a new window, or require a password. These are automatically set by Respondus and making a change to these settings will interfere with the LockDown Browser.
If your students are unable to start at test, view the Fix It Respondus LockDown Browser Tip Sheet.
- Optionally you may enter a test password that students must enter to start the test. LockDown Browser will prompt students to enter the instructor or proctor provided password before proceeding with the test.
- To require all students use a webcam during the exam, select Require Respondus Monitor for this exam.
HOW TO REVIEW MONITOR DATA AND VIDEO
When students are required to use the webcam feature (Respondus Monitor) with the exam, instructors can access information about the exam sessions and can review the recorded videos.
To review student videos:
- Access the Control Panel in Blackboard, locate the Course Tools section and select the link Respondus LockDown Browser.
- From the drop-down menu to the left of the test title, select Class Results.
- The Class Results screen will contain several sections:
Click [ + ] to expand the section for an individual student, this will provide information about the date, time, duration/status of the test, and grade (if applicable). A Review Priority column is also available which ranks sessions by Low, Medium and High Priority to help instructors determine which exam sessions require the greatest level of attention (green=low, red=high).
Details of the startup sequence and the exam session are shown in thumbnails. Click on a thumbnail photo to view the video. A summary area listing the number of flags will appear on the right side along with timecodes listing the specific flags and milestones. Instructors can play the video from the beginning or jump directly to a flagged section. The Add Notes link allows comments to be added by the instructor to the video for future reference.
In order to take a test with Respondus at GVSU, students will need to DOWNLOAD and INSTALL GVSU's version of Respondus LockDown Browser. (Chromebooks are NOT supported.)
Before Taking a Test - Prepare your Environment
Before starting your assessment, be sure to prepare your environment:
- To prevent distractions, turn off all audio sources in the environment (radio, tv, etc.) and also be sure there is no one else in the room or any movement in the background.
- Reboot your computer prior to the start of the exam.
- Close all open applications on your computer except for LockDown Browser.
- Avoid wearing a hat and be in a well lit room and avoid backlighting.
- Place your laptop on a table or other sturdy surface so it will not move during the assessment period.
Respondus LockDown Browser
Respondus LockDown Browser is a secure browser for taking tests in Blackboard. It prevents printing, copying, going to other URLs, or accessing other applications during a test. If a Blackboard test requires Respondus LockDown Browser be used, you will not be able to take the test with a standard web browser but instead will utilize a browser provided by Respondus during the exam.
For courses using LockDown Browser, you must install the free software onto your computer. You will not be able to access your exam until the software has been installed.
Your course may also implement the use of Respondus Monitor with LockDown Browser. The Respondus Monitor software uses a web cam with your computer along with a microphone to record you while completing your online exam in LockDown Browser. If Respondus Monitor is used, your computer must have a functioning webcam and microphone. A broadband connection is also required. Installing LockDown Browser on your computer also installs Respondus Monitor.
When taking an exam using Respondus Monitor, you may be required to show a photo ID and perform an environment scan by using the web cam to record your surroundings. A system’s check will be conducted prior to the beginning of your exam to ensure the webcam and microphone are working properly.
The recorded images captured during the online exam is similar to video captured throughout our daily lives at stop lights, an ATM machine, the grocery store, etc. Images captured are securely stored and are only accessible through the course by the instructor.
Introduction to Respondus LockDown Browser for Students
The Respondus LockDown Browser locks down the computer and prevents the use of additional applications during the test session.
The student start up sequence can be tailored to the instructor's needs, and guides students through the process of pre-test requirements.
Faculty can review the videos of students, using the priority and flags assigned by Respondus Monitor.
Faculty can jump to flagged sections of video whereby Respondus Monitor has detected a possible concern.
Respondus LockDown Browser provides additional exam analytics such as the average score, duration, as well as individual question based student performance.
- Student Information for LockDown and Monitor - Tips and information for students in using LockDown and Monitor.
- Respondus 4.0 - For creating tests and for converting assessments created in Microsoft Word into Blackboard.
- GVSU Academic Integrity Policy - Academic Integrity Policy and the GVSU Student Code of Conduct.