Fostering Laker Success
To recruit, retain, and graduate youth that have experience with the foster care system with the goal of post-secondary completion at GVSU.
Jessica R Campbell, MSW
We serve students who have experienced foster care. Through campus collaboration, we provide a supportive network to ensure their success on and off campus. Together we work to help students achieve their academic and personal goals.
- Meet with coach 1x a week
- Attend 1 FLS event per month
- Meet with mentor 4x per month
- Meet one on one with foster youth enrolled in program 4x a month minimum
- Complete 8 hours of specialized training
- Touch base with Independent Living Skills Coach on a biweekly basis
- Be willing to submit to background check
New program to help support foster youth
Fostering Laker Success has launched, as a result of the award granted by the Dept. Health and Human Services.
1) Are age 20 or under, and were eligible for Youth in Transition
2) Have been in an eligible foster care or non-secure delinquency placement supervised by the Michigan Department of Health & Human Services (MDHHS) at age 14 or older. Eligible placements include licensed foster family homes, relative provider homes, group homes, emergency shelters, child care institutions for less than 25 children, independent living, and semi-independent living placements.