For the health and safety of the Grand Valley community, remote academic instruction will continue through April 25. The Admissions office is available to answer calls Mon.-Fri. from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at 616-331-2025 or 1-800-748-0246 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Additional instructions and updates at www.gvsu.edu/coronavirus
Unboxing Masculinity Conference
Unboxing Masculinity: Critical Conversations Surrounding Masculinity
November 2nd, 2019 - 9 am - Grand River Room (2250 Kirkhof Center)
Please join us in a day-long conference relating to masculinity.
The keynote for the day is Byron Hurt with local speakers and breakout sessions to follow.
LIB 100/201 Approved!
Coffee, tea, and beverages will be available throughout the day. I have chosen the soup and salad bar for lunch, as it should include dietary restrictions. Please let me know if you need any other dietary accommodations!
The conference will take place in 2250 Kirkhof Center on GVSU's Allendale campus. A map of the Allendale campus can be found here
Kirkhof Center is listed on the map as KC (located at square D5 on the map), and the closest parking lots are H1 and H2, with accessible parking right next to the building. A parking pass is not needed on the weekend.
Kirkhof Center 2250 (also called Grand River Room) is located on the second floor of Kirkhof. There will be signs pointing you in the right direction. There are both stairs and elevators to the second floor.
A break room is provided, and a room hosted by the Victim Advocate, Krystal Diel is offered for those seeking resources.
Thank you, and we are looking forward to seeing you! Please do not hesitate to contact conference planner, Kellie Zachman, for any questions at email@example.com
9:00-9:15am - Welcome by Violence Prevention & Education Coordinator, Kellie Zachman
9:15-10:15- Keynote: Byron Hurt
10:15-10:30- 15 Minute Break
10:30-11:45- Local Speaker: Seth Mika of Resilience
12-1 - Lunch
1-2:15- Local Speaker: Trey Sumner of ACES
2:15-2:30- 15 Minute Break
2:30-3:15- Breakout Sessions
- Kirkhof 2215/2216: Jasmine LaBine, Western Michigan University/Kalamazoo College, Bingewatching "Bromance": Male Friendships in American Sitcoms
- Kirkhof 2259: Morgan PettyJohn, Michigan State University, Unboxing Masculinity As a Tool for (and Barrier to) Sexual Assault Prevention
- Kirkhof 2263: Jarred Daniels, Safe Haven Ministries, Decoding Manhood: What Does it Meant to be a Man?
3:30-4:15- Breakout Sessions
- Kirkhof 2215/2216: Skyler Blankenship, Central Michigan University/Silver Lining Advocacy Center, Masculinity Outside the Binary
- Kirkhof 2259: Brad Hieftje, Resilience, Male Survivors of Abuse: How the Man Box Hinders our Healing Journey
* denotes a required field