GVSU's libraries offer a wide array of resources on topics related to mental health. The following list contains suggestions for library resources, although there are many more available through the GVSU Libraries.
Search Terms for Catalog & Databases
Suggested terms when looking for items in the library catalog and databases.
- Academic Success College students, study skills
- Anxiety Generalized Anxiety Disorder, managing anxiety, causes
- Career Development Career pathways
- Depression managing, treating, causes
- Eating Disorders anorexia, bulimia, binge eating
- LGBT relationships, coming out, health
- Multicultural counseling, relationships, issues
- Relationships violence, healthy, maintaining
- Sexual Trauma child abuse, spousal, partner
- Spirituality relationships, mental health
- Substance Abuse 12 steps, college, recovery
Library Catalog: www.gvsu.edu/library
Library of Congress Call Numbers for Library Books
- BF1-990 Psychology
- BF176-176.5 Psychological tests and testing
- BF231-299 Sensation. Aesthesiology
- BF309-499 Consciousness and Cognition
- BF501-505 Motivation
- BF511-593 Affection. Feeling. Emotion
- BF608-635 Will. Volition. Choice. Control
- BF692-692.5 Psychology of sex. Sexual behavior
- BF697-697.5 Differential psychology. Individuality. Self
- BF698-698.9 Personality
- BF699-711 Genetic psychology
- BF712-724.85 Developmental psychology
Note: You will be prompted to login to the GVSU library system to view many of these books.
Available for viewing and checkout to all GVSU students.
COMMON MENTAL HEALTH CONCERNS
- Keen, E., & Ebrary, I. (2002). Depression: Self-consciousness, Pretending, and Guilt. Westport, Conn: Praeger.
- Ayres, B., Bristow, M., & ebrary, I. (2009). Anxiety in College Students. New York: Nova Biomedical Books.
- Peters Mayer, D. (2008). Overcoming school anxiety: How to help your child deal with separation, tests, homework, bullies, math phobia, and other worries. New York: AMACOM, American Management Association.
- Dubin, N. (2009). Asperger syndrome and anxiety: A guide to successful stress management. Philadelphia: Jessica Kingsley Publishers.
- Chansky, T. E. (2012). Freeing Yourself From Anxiety: Four Simple Steps to Overcome Worry and Create the Life you Want. Cambridge, MA: Da Capo Life Long.
- Hofmann, S. G., & DiBartolo, P. M. (2010). Social Anxiety: Clinical, Developmental, and Social Perspectives. Amsterdam: Academic Press/Elsevier.
- Weg, A. H., & Ebooks Corporation. (2011). OCD Treatment Through Storytelling: A Strategy for Successful Therapy. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Lundberg-Love, P. K., Nadal, K. L., Paludi, M. A., & Ebooks Corporation. (2012). Women and Mental Disorders. Santa Barbara, Calif: Praeger.
- Matthews, G., Zeidner, M., Roberts, R. D., & Ebooks Corporation. (2011). Emotional intelligence 101. New York: Springer Pub.
- Dixon, T. (2004). How to Get a First: The Essential Guide to Academic Success. London: Routledge.
- Sadler, D. R. (1999). Managing Your Academic Career: Strategies for Success. St. Leonards, N.S.W: Allen & Unwin.
- Tufariello, A. H., & NetLibrary, I. (1997). Up Your Grades: Proven Strategies for Academic Success. Lincolnwood, Ill: VGM Career Horizons.
- Connelly, J., Forsyth, P. B., & Ebooks Corporation. (2010). The Study Skills Guide: Essential Strategies for Smart Students. London: Kogan Page.
- Phifer, P., & ebrary, I. (2009). College Majors & Careers: A Resource Guide for Effective Life Planning. New York NY: Ferguson.
- St. Jean, Y., Feagin, J. R., & NetLibrary, I. (1998). Double Burden: Black Women and Everyday Racism. Armonk, N.Y: M.E. Sharpe.
- Potter, H. (2008). Battle Cries: Black Women and Intimate Partner Abuse. New York: New York University Press.
- Covington Armstrong, S. (2009). Not all Black Girls Know how to eat: A Story of Bulimia. Chicago, Ill: Lawrence Hill Books.
- Ristock, J. L., & ebrary, I. (2011). Intimate Partner Violence in LGBTQ Lives. New York: Routledge.
- Hammack, P. L., & Cohler, B. J. (2009). The Story of Sexual Identity: Narrative Perspectives on the Gay and Lesbian Life Course. Oxford: Oxford University Press, USA.
- Rumens, N., & Ebooks Corporation. (2011). Queer Company: The Role and Meaning of Friendship in Gay Men's Work Lives. Burlington, VT: Ashgate.
- Raab, K. A., & ebrary, I. (2009). Creativity, Spirituality, and Mental Health: Exploring Connections. Burlington, VT: Ashgate Pub. Ltd.
- Jewell, A. (2003). Aging, Spirituality and Well-Being. London: Jessica Kingsley Publishers.
RELATIONSHIPS & PARENTING
- Dutton, D. G. (2007). The Abusive Personality: Violence and Control in Intimate Relationships. New York: Guilford Press.
- Pruett, K. D., & Pruett, M. K. (2009). Partnership Parenting: How men and Women Parent Differently-- why it Helps Your Kids and can Strengthen Your Marriage. Philadelphia: Da Capo Lifelong.
- Cleveland, H. H., Harris, K. S., Wiebe, R. P., & SpringerLink (Online service). (2010). Substance Abuse Recovery in College: Community Supported Abstinence. Boston, MA: Springer Science+Business Media, LLC.
- B. H., & NetLibrary, I. (1996). Twelve Step Sponsorship: How it Works. Center City, Minn: Hazelden.
- Roos, S., & NetLibrary, I. (1992). A Young Person's Guide to the Twelve Steps. Center City, Minn: Hazelden.
- Franklin, K., King, L., & Ebooks Corporation. (2009). Addicted Like me: A Mother-Daughter Story of Substance Abuse and Recovery. Berkeley, Calif: Seal Press.
- Fox, J. R. E., Goss, K., & Ebooks Corporation. (2012). Eating and its Disorders. Malden, MA: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Lask, B., Frampton, I., & Ebooks Corporation. (2011). Eating Disorders and the Brain. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley Sons.
TRAUMA & PTSD (POST TRAUMATIC STRESS DISORDER)
- Clancy, S. A. (2010). The Trauma Myth: The Truth About the Sexual Abuse of Children--and its Aftermath. New York: Basic Books.
- Brenner, I. (2009). Injured Men: Trauma, Healing, and the Masculine Self. Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield Pub. Group.
- Joseph, S., & Linley, P. A. (2008). Trauma, Recovery, and Growth: Positive Psychological Perspectives on Post-traumatic Stress. Hoboken: John Wiley & Sons.
- Kendall-Tackett, K. (2004). Handbook of Women, Stress and Trauma. Hoboken: Taylor & Francis Ltd.
- Krippner, S., Pitchford, D., Davies, J., & Ebooks Corporation. (2012). Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. Santa Barbara, Calif: Greenwood.
- Schiraldi, G. R., & NetLibrary, I. (2000). The Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Sourcebook: A Guide to Healing, Recovery, and Growth. Los Angeles, Calif: Lowell House.